Cheesy Tater Tot Casserole is a staple, kid friendly recipe in my kitchen. This easy hotdish recipe is the best because it is loaded with ground beef, corn, cheese and crispy tater tots. This is referred to as tater tot hotdish recipe here in Minnesota, but whatever you call it, don’t you dare skip out on the last ingredient because it makes all the difference….
In the spirit of being totally open and honest with you, I present to you the first recipe in the 12 years of my blog history that uses a condensed soup: Cheesy Tater Tot Casserole. While I am not a huge fan of this prepared product, I do appreciate the aid that it gives to those who are just learning to cook, like my children. My kids like to use them in some of their favorite recipes because it makes things fairly simple for them in the preparation process.
My kids make dinner a few nights a week and if I allowed them to, they would make this Tater Tot Casserole every single week. This recipe is definitely kid friendly!
Although, since we are Minnesotans, I should really re-title it a Tater Tot Hotdish recipe. You don’t call them casseroles up north apparently and I still find that weird. It took me years of living here in the land of 10,000 lakes to figure out what the heck a hotdish was!
Cheesy Tater Tot Casserole Recipe VIDEO
Looking for More Easy Casseroles?
Craving more than cheesy tater tot casserole? Subscribe to My Kitchen Escapades to get new recipes and a weekly newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! You can also stay in touch on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, TikTok, and YouTube for all the latest updates.
Are You Part of the Squad?
Our PRIVATE Facebook group is for anyone who is DONE with the stress and frustration with all aspects of getting dinner on the table every night! We got you covered for everything: planning, shopping, meal prep, cooking, and clean-up! Click here to join for free!Print
Cheesy tater tot Casserole is always an easy dinner recipe idea and super kid friendly with those crispy potatoes all over the top!
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 can corn or green beans, drained
- 3/4 C low fat sour cream
- 1 can low fat cream of mushroom soup
- 3/4 C skim milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 3/4 C shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 lb bag tater tots
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and lightly spray a 9×13 pan with nonstick spray.
- Heat a large skillet on high and add your ground beef or turkey. Season with the salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder. Cook on high, breaking it up into pieces as you go until the meat is completely cooked.
- Add the sour cream, soup, milk and corn or green beans. Mix until combined.
- Pour mixture into the 9×13 pan. Top with the shredded cheese.
- Add the tater tots to the top. Bake for 40-45 minutes until hot and bubbly. Sprinkle a bit of salt over the tater tots when you take the casserole out of the oven.
**For a freezer meal, prepare as instructed but do not bake. Freeze, well wrapped. To cook it, bake at 350 for 60 minutes if frozen, or as instructed if thawed.
- Serving Size: 1/8 th
- Calories: 461
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 1273 mg
- Fat: 25 g
- Saturated Fat: 8 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 34 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 25 g
- Cholesterol: 80 mg
Keywords: easy casserole recipe, hot dish recipe