This Sushi Rice Recipe is really sticky and slightly sweet, which makes it perfect for making your own sushi rolls or sashimi at home. This sticky rice recipe is easy to make and lasts for days in the refrigerator. I will teach you how to make sticky rice with all my tips and tricks. Don’t even think about skipping tip #3, even though you will try to…..
Sushi is one of my all time favorite foods. That statement is one that is newer for me because I would have never thought I was a sushi type of gal, but I am completely obsessed with it. Now, the price of a handmade sushi roll is what keeps me from eating it as often as I would like but I’ve spent some serious time learning how to make my own at home and now I make it all the time! This sticky rice recipe is the only one I use because the seasoning is spot on and the end result is super sticky, which is a must to make the perfect sushi or sashimi roll at home.
There are a couple key points for making killer sushi rice recipe and this one hits them all. Don’t be afraid of trying out your own sushi or sashimi because you will be amazed at how easy this is!
How to Make Sticky Rice or Sushi Rice
- Only use sushi rice. Sushi rice, which is a form of short grain rice and that is what makes it so sticky. (This brand is my personal favorite). Don’t try to use the standard long grain rice you already have in your cupboard or your roll will not work. At all. Not to mention the texture will be much too mushy.
- Rinse your uncooked sushi rice well. It may seem odd or an unnecessary step, but be sure you rinse your rice until the water runs clear. This step is skipped by people in a rush but if you do, you will end up with more of a rice paste than anything. Nasty!
- Sticky rice comes as it cools. Allow the finished rice to come to room temperature before using it. As the finished rice cools, it becomes even stickier so don’t rush this process. If you are in a rush, you can always transfer your cooked sushi rice into a shallow pan and allow it to cool faster.
Stay tuned for my next post which will include my favorite at-home sushi roll recipe and a video that will show the simple step by step process of rolling your own sushi!
Looking for more Asian flavors? You have to make my Thai Chicken Salad with Spicy Peanut Sauce.Print
The Best Sushi Rice Recipe
Sushi rice recipe that is easy to make, super sticky and perfect for homemade sushi and sashimi
- 2 C sushi rice
- 2 C water, plus more for rinsing
- 2 Tb rice vinegar
- 2 Tb sugar
- 1 Tb kosher salt
- Place the rice in a strainer and rinse the rice until the water runs clear. Use your hands to be sure all the grains are rinsed well. Place the rinsed rice into a medium pan with the 2 cups of water over high heat. Once the water begins to boil, cover the pot and reduce the heat to the very lowest setting. Cook for 15 minutes. Once the rice has finished cooking, remove from the heat, leave the lid on and let it sit for another 10 minutes.
- Combine the vinegar, sugar and kosher salt in a small microwave safe cup and microwave for 30 seconds. Once the rice has sat for 10 minutes, toss it well with the seasoning liquid. Allow the rice to come to room temperature before using. Store leftover rice in the fridge in an airtight container for up to one week.