Squash season has officially arrived and if you haven’t discovered spaghetti squash yet, you will love me for this healthy low carb recipe that is additively yummy! It is simple to prepare this vegetarian side dish by roasting the whole squash in the oven, scraping out the inside and tossing it in some garlic butter, parmesan cheese and fresh herbs.
As a family, we’ve been trying to do better about preparing balanced dinners every night. Life has just gotten busier and crazier, which lead to frequent dinners that only consisted of a main dish. Not a horrible thing, but when our dinner has no sides of fruits or veggies, the Jones family will eat three helpings of whatever is served. Plus, my children seem to develop an immunity to veggies if they aren’t on their plate on a daily basis.
I’ve been branching out of my standard side dishes recently, especially now that squash is once again in season. Spaghetti squash is just one of those freaky, unexpected vegetables God decided to toss in for laughs. When you think squash, you don’t think of something crunchy but that is where the beauty of this veggie lies! Sweet, crisp strings of heaven that can be prepared in a million different ways.
My kids loved this recipe. Lots of yummy parmesan cheese, garlic butter and parsley. I served it with my famous Italian Chicken Bake and everyone asked for second helpings!Print
An easy recipe to make spaghetti squash that has some butter, garlic and parmesan cheese!
- 1 spaghetti squash – around 3 lbs
- 3 Tb butter
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 C freshly grated parmesan cheese
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1 Tb Italian parsley, chopped
- Cut your squash in half lengthwise and remove the seeds with a spoon. Generously salt the inside of your squash and let sit for 10 minutes. Use a towel to dab away the water that will accumulate on top.
- Place the squash cut side down on a microwave safe dish and microwave on high for 10-12 minutes. You will know it is done when you press on the skin and it gives a bit under pressure. Use a fork and flake out the inside flesh of the squash.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over high heat then add the garlic. Cook for 1 minute, then toss in the spaghetti squash flesh along with the parmesan cheese, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
- Serving Size: 1/8th
- Calories: 105
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 226mg
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 14g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 14mg