Tater Tot Casserole is a staple, kid friendly recipe in my kitchen. This easy hotdish recipe is the best because it is loaded with ground beef, corn, cheese and crispy tater tots. This recipe is one of my most popular for a reason but don’t you dare skip out on the last ingredient because it makes all the difference….
It was a rough morning this morning. I did something I didn’t even think was possible…..I burned a pot full of hard boiled eggs. Smoke. Exploding egg shells. Nasty smell.
I was helping my oldest son register for his college classes at BYU this fall and totally forgot that I had put on some eggs to boil. 45 minutes later, I smelled the oddest smell and went to the kitchen to investigate. I made a bad situation worse by grabbing the smoking, scorched pan full of eggs and running water over them. The eggs exploded. I could have lost an eye!
My kids thought it was hilarious. They laughed and laughed, then laughed some more. Not really about the eggs. More at me 🙂
This adorable 10 year old of mine really appreciated the fact that Mom can really screw things up in the kitchen as well. She is beginning to develop some reliable kitchen skills but has made her share of questionable recipes along the way. I think it just did her adorable heart some good to see Mom fail in such an epic fashion. This leads me to my next secret to getting your kids into the kitchen….
Secret #4: Don’t be afraid to let your kids fail in the kitchen! Everything doesn’t have to be gourmet or picture perfect
In the spirit of the latest secret, I present to you the first recipe in the 6 years of my blog history that uses a condensed soup: Tater Tot Casserole. While I am not a huge fan of this prepared product, I do appreciate the aid that it gives to those who are just learning to cook. My kids like to use them in some of their favorite recipes because it makes things fairly simple for them in the preparation process.
My kids make dinner every Wednesday night and if I allowed them to, they would make this Tater Tot Casserole every single Wednesday. Although, since we are Minnesotans, I should really re-title it Tater Tot Hotdish. No casseroles up north apparently and I still find that weird. It took me years of living here in the land of 10,000 lakes to figure out what the heck a hotdish was!
We usually make this simple dish in my favorite, gorgeous red casserole pan but decided to use my normal Pyrex baking dish since you could see all the yummy layers of cheesy goodness through the sides. This picture was taken before my kids picked off all the crispy tater tots off the top, which drives me nuts.
Don’t miss all my other great recipes that kids can make in my Kids in the Kitchen recipe series!Print
Tatertot Casserole is always an easy dinner recipe idea and super kid friendly with those crispy potatoes all over the top!
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 can corn or green beans, drained
- 3/4 C low fat sour cream
- 1 can low fat cream of mushroom soup
- 3/4 C skim milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 lb bag tater tots
- 3/4 C shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and lightly spray a 9×13 pan with nonstick spray.
- Heat a large skillet on high and add your ground beef or turkey. Season with the salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder. Cook on high, breaking it up into pieces as you go until the meat is completely cooked.
- Turn off the heat and add the sour cream, soup, milk and corn or green beans. Mix until combined and then pour it into the 9×13 pan. Top with the shredded cheese then add the tater tots to the top. Bake for 40-45 minutes until hot and bubbly. Sprinkle a bit of salt over the tater tots when you take the casserole out of the oven.
- **For a freezer meal, prepare as instructed but do not bake. Freeze, well wrapped. To cook it, bake at 350 for 60 minutes if frozen, or as instructed if thawed.
- Serving Size: 1/8 th
- Calories: 461
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 1273 mg
- Fat: 25 g
- Saturated Fat: 8 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 34 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 25 g
- Cholesterol: 80 mg
Keywords: best tater tot casserole recipe, hot dish recipes
**My friend, this post contains Amazon affiliate links which means I receive a small compensation, at no additional cost to you, if you make a purchase using my link. If you decide to give this project a try, I will be your bestie if you would use the links from this post. And no worries….I only link to products that I both use and love! ~Carole