This Layered Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole only has FIVE ingredients and is so easy to make! It is an all-time favorite at Casa Jones since we love Mexican food so much. Plus this chicken enchilada bake is super kid friendly!
This chicken enchilada bake recipe was one I created many years ago when the fridge and cupboards were quite bare. It is now a staple in our menu rotation, appearing at least twice a month. It is simple enough that my kiddos can make it themselves and it can also be made ahead of time, stored in the fridge, then popped into the oven right before dinner. If I don’t happen to have chicken on hand, I will used ground beef or some of my leftover Sunday pork loin roast.
How to Make Chicken for Enchiladas
Your chicken needs to be completely cooked for enchiladas and enchilada casserole. You can use leftover chicken in your fridge, buy a rotisserie chicken from the store, or season well and bake boneless, skinless chicken breasts for 25 minutes at 425 degrees.
What is Enchilada Sauce Made of?
For green enchilada sauce, it is made of green chilis, water, seasonings, and a thickening agent. Red enchilada sauce also includes tomato paste or puree. Both types of sauce come in various levels of spice but ones in a standard grocery store tend to be quite mild.
Layered Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole VIDEO
Craving more than s’mores? Subscribe to My Kitchen Escapades to get new recipes and a weekly newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! You can also stay in touch on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest for all the latest updates.
Make it a Meal! Recipes to Pair with Chicken Enchilada Bake:
- My Cilantro Lime Rice would be a perfect side dish!
- Looking for a dessert? These Grilled S’mores Tacos can’t be beat!
- This Rockstar Guacamole goes perfectly on top!
More Enchilada Recipes!Print
This chicken enchilada bake only has 5 ingredients but tastes like you spent all day making it!
28 ounce can green chili enchilada sauce
18 corn tortillas
2 – 15 ounce cans refried beans
4 cups diced cooked chicken breasts
16 ounces shredded colby jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease 9×13 inch pan with nonstick spray.
- Spread a thin layer of enchilada sauce in the bottom of the pan, then layer on 6 tortillas. Spread one can of beans over the tortillas, then sprinkle on half the chicken and half the cheese. Drizzle 1/3 of the enchilada sauce over the first layer, add 6 more tortillas, and repeat the above process one more time.
- Top with the remaining 6 tortillas then evenly spread the remaining 1/3 sauce over the top. Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes, until the edges of the casserole are bubbling. Let sit for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Avocado, tomatoes, lettuce, and sour cream all make great toppings!
- Serving Size: 1/12
- Calories: 392
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 957 mg
- Fat: 15 g
- Saturated Fat: 7 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 35 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 28 g
- Cholesterol: 73 mg
Keywords: easy dinner recipe