While this engaged daughter of mine has been home from college this summer, she has complained way too many times about how often we have chicken for dinner. You’d think that after being away at college and cooking for herself, she would be grateful for any form of dinner her mommy puts on the table. Not so much.
So just for the above mentioned betrothed daughter, I prepared chicken in a form I knew she would adore….enchiladas with a creamy, cheesy sauce. No complaining tonight for sure!
But guess who didn’t show for dinner tonight?!? You got it! Where was she? With that good looking, standing-much-too-close-to-my-daughter young man pictured above. I guess I better get used to it.
Easy dinner recipe idea that is kid friendly and so delicious! Loaded with chicken, avocados, green chilis and cheese.
- 1 Tb butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tb flour
- 1 to 1 1/2 C chicken broth
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 C chopped cilantro
- 1 C salsa verde
- 1/2 C sour cream
- 3 C cooked and shredded chicken
- 2 large avocados, chopped
- 2 C shredded cheese
- 18 corn tortillas (or small flour can also be used)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and lightly spray a 9×13 casserole pan with nonstick spray.
2. In a medium pan, melt the butter over medium heat then add the garlic to saute for 1 minute. Sprinkle the flour over the butter and whisk to combine. Cook for 1 minute. While whisking, pour in 1 C of chicken broth and allow it to come to a simmer. Add any additional broth if the sauce is too thick. It should be the consistency of gravy. Allow it to come to a simmer again to check the thickness once more. Remove from the heat and add the remaining ingredients for the sauce and mix until all combined.
3. Spread a small amount of the sauce on the bottom of the pan, about 1/2 C. Lay down six tortillas on top of the sauce then add half of the chicken, avocado and 1/3 of the cheese. Drizzle a bit of sauce over the top. Repeat once more. Top the whole dish with 6 more tortillas the spread the remaining sauce over the top and sprinkle on the remaining cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the cheese is bubbling.