Skillet chicken recipes are always a huge hit because they are a quick dinner idea for a weeknight meal. Loaded with spinach, artichokes and cheese, this kid friendly dinner is just like your favorite party dip! You can keep it low carb by serving it as is, or take it up a notch by spooning the sauce over noodles, rice or potatoes.
My favorite party dip of all time is spinach artichoke dip. This chicken is that dip in an acceptable dinner form! I just need to figure out how to work in some tortilla chips into the mix 🙂 My kiddos were huge fans of this recipe creation. They are always a fan of any recipe that has a sauce.
If you don’t have a quality skillet in your kitchen arsenal, you can go with this fabulous cast iron skillet or this classic stainless steel skillet. I know it will be tempting to try to save a few bucks and get a smaller one, but go big for this one, meaning between 12 and 14 inches. You won’t regret it!Print
- 5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 2 Tb oil
- 2 Tb butter
- 1 medium shallot, diced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 Tb flour
- 1 1/4 C milk
- 5 ounces fresh spinach
- 14 ounce can quartered artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 4 ounces low fat cream cheese, cubed
- 1/4 C low fat sour cream
- 1/3 C freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Season both sides of the chicken well with salt and pepper.
- Using a large skillet, heat it until very hot over high heat. Add the oil and the chicken breasts, smooth side down. Do not touch the chicken and allow it to sit for 4 minutes before turning it over so a nice brown crust forms. Cook another 3-4 minutes on the second side. The chicken is not finished cooking, but remove it from the pan and set it aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the butter, shallots and garlic. Use a wooden spoon to sauté and scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle the flour in and mix it well into the butter. Add the milk, again stirring with a wooden spoon to scrape up any remaining brown bits. Bring to a simmer, then add the spinach and allow it to cook down before adding the artichoke hearts, cream cheese, sour cream, parmesan, salt and pepper. Mix well to combine. Bring to a simmer.
- Return the chicken to the pan and bake in the oven until the chicken is cooked through, about 8-10 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 1/8th
- Calories: 315
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 500mg
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 36g
- Cholesterol: 123mg
**My friend, this post contains Amazon affiliate links which means I receive a small compensation if you make a purchase using my link, at no additional cost to you. And no worries….I only link to products that I both use and love! ~Carole