Southwest Chicken Soup is my favorite easy dinner recipe that is loaded with all my favorite Mexican flavors: black beans, chicken, corn, and green chilis! If you love chicken tortilla soup as much as I do, then scroll on down to print this recipe. Oh, and did I mention your dinner will be ready in 15 minutes? I promise 🙂
It has been a miserable week when it comes to weather pretty much everywhere in the US. Here in Minnesota, we’ve had wind chills of -40 and as I type this, there is an extraordinarily nasty blizzard roaring outside my office window. I made the mistake of running to the grocery store a bit after the storm started and the 50 mph wind knocked me onto my rear end in the parking lot. Seriously!
To help me overcome the physical beating I took at the hands of the blizzard, I came home and made a big pot of our family’s favorite soup/ chili /stew. I grabbed my iPad to pull up the recipe from my blog and was shocked to see that after 7 years of blogging, I hadn’t posted this Southwest Chicken Soup recipe yet. It is honestly my favorite winter meal and I checked three times to be sure I hadn’t posted it.
Not only is this Southwest Chicken Soup amazingly delicious, it is so simple to throw together. 15 minutes and you have perfect winter comfort in a bowl. I love mine with crushed up tortilla chips in it as well as all those yummy toppings!
Looking for another great Southwest recipe? How about my Southwest Chicken Quesadillas in 10 minutes or less?
An easy chicken tortilla soup recipe that is loaded with all your favorite Mexican flavors!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tb oil
- 2 – 15 ounce cans chicken broth
- 15 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 7 ounce can diced green chilis
- 2 rounded tsp chili powder
- 1 rounded tsp oregano
- 2 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn, drained
- 3 cooked chicken breasts, chopped
- Optional toppings: cheese, cilantro, avocado, sour cream and tortilla chips
- 1. In a large pot heated over high heat, add the oil, onion and garlic. Sauté until the onions soften. Add the broth, tomatoes, chilis and seasonings. Bring to a boil and allow to simmer for 5 minutes. Add the beans, corn and chicken then simmer for 5 minutes before serving with cheese, cilantro, avocado, sour cream and tortilla chips.
- Serving Size: 1/8 th
- Calories: 280
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 1348 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 26 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 35 g
- Cholesterol: 51 mg
Keywords: easy soup recipe