“My Mom’s a health nut!” That was my daughter’s reason for why I didn’t deep fry these sandwiches, like a classic Monte Cristo would be prepared. I think my previous post chocolate peanut butter cup cake is proof enough to end that type of reasoning.
This is the reappearance of the second loaf of American Sandwich Bread I mentioned a few days ago. I have never made Monte Cristo’s sandwiches before but after reading the recipe I knew I would need a very sturdy and stable bread. This bread was absolutely perfect and I completely loved it in the Monte Cristos. I paired it with a new black bean soup recipe that was at best mediocre so I won’t waste my time or yours by posting it. My kids were completely bummed that I didn’t have any extra sandwiches because they were a hit!
- 8 slices quality sandwich bread
- 1/2 C hot pepper jelly, tomatillo salsa or taco sauce
- 8 slices honey baked ham
- 8 slices turkey
- 8 slices pepper jack cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 C milk
- 2 tsp hot sauce
- Beat eggs with milk, hot sauce and a little salt. Heat skillet over medium heat.
- Build sandwiches by quickly dipping one side only of a piece of bread and laying it egg side down on the counter.
- Spread a light layer of taco sauce on the side of bread facing you and top with two pieces of each meat and cheese.
- Dip one side of second piece of bread in the eggs and place it on your sandwich, dry side down. Assemble the other sandwiches the same way.
- Spread a bit of butter on your skillet and cook your sandwiches on both sides until golden brown.
- Serving Size: 1/4th
- Calories: 446
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 1129mg
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 11g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 26g
- Cholesterol: 165mg