Oven roasted potatoes are one of my favorite side dish recipes, especially in the fall when the weather starts to turn cool! This recipe is the best, honestly. Learn how to roast potatoes that are loaded with fresh garlic, olive oil and herbs, then turn perfectly crispy on the outside while staying soft on the inside. A healthy alternative to french fries but don’t mess around with the first step if you want them to really turn out crispy….
My kiddos really do adore my killer mashed potatoes, but sometimes a gal just wants a more sophisticated potato side dish. Come on, if we’re going to indulge in a helping of potatoes, don’t we want them to be worth the carbs and calories?!? This recipe will do just that for you. Garlic roast potatoes that are perfectly crispy on the outside while staying tender on the inside.
How to Roast Potatoes
- Be sure to use the right type of shallow pan – Use a good quality, shallow pan and don’t overcrowd the potatoes or they won’t brown. Give them room to breathe! My favorite pans have a shallow lip on them and are thick aluminum. Both of those features help in the browning and crisping process while letting the inside of each piece of potato stay light and fluffy.
- Choose the right type of potato to roast – While russet potatoes are cheap and would work, your end result will be a bit dry and crumbly. To roast potatoes, you need a lower starch potato, like a yukon gold or red potato. If you want the best garlic roasted potatoes, then spend a few extra dollars on your most important ingredient.
- Let them sit on the pan without turning them – I’m not telling you to never turn the potatoes, but to really get that great crispy surface on these easy roasted potatoes, you have to give them enough time touching the metal of the hot pan. So step away from the spatula until the end of the roasting process.
If you are as obsessed with amazing potatoes as I am, then go grab this recipe and learn how to make mashed potatoes!Print
Perfect Oven Roasted Potatoes
Easy garlic roasted potatoes recipe that turn out crispy on the outside, while staying tender on the inside.
- 2 pounds yellow potatoes, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 Tb extra virgin olive oil
- 3 medium garlic cloves
- sea salt
- black pepper
- 2 Tb freshly chopped herb of choice (Italian parsley, chives, rosemary, thyme)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Chop the garlic finely, then add 1/8 tsp of table salt and use the side of your knife to smash it into a garlic paste.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the cut potatoes, olive oil and garlic paste until the garlic is evenly covering the potatoes. Spread potatoes in a single layer on a rimmed cookie sheet, sprinkle on the sea salt and pepper, then cover tightly with foil. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove the foil and roast until the side of the potato touching the pan is crusty and golden, about 15 more minutes. Remove from the oven and use a metal spatula to carefully turn the potatoes so the crispy sides are now up. Return to the oven until the second side is crispy, about 5-10 minutes more. Remove, sprinkle on the fresh herbs and serve.