Grilled Teriyaki Chicken with Homemade Teriyaki Sauce is an easy and flavor packed weeknight dinner idea, especially if you cook it on the grill. Instead of buying a cloyingly sweet teriyaki sauce from the store, take 5 minutes and make your own at home. You will never go back to that nasty stuff in a jar because this recipe is the best!
I warned you a few posts back that I had a load of grilled recipes lined up for you. Partly, I just love cooking outside during the summer months, but the fact that I live in a 120 year old house that doesn’t have central air conditioning really plays a role in the amount of grilling that happens from June to August. We do have some window units, but let’s be honest, they just can’t hang.
I know I will get a few questions about why I chose to cut these pieces of chicken into these long strips instead of the standard cubes to stick on a skewer. The answer is simple. Make anything look like a chicken finger and my children are 10 times more likely to eat it. Parents out there know that when it comes to food, kids make no sense at all.
When it comes to cooking the teriyaki chicken, you have a couple different options. Since it is summer, you can fire up your grill outside or you can use a stove with a good, heavy duty skillet (I like cast iron). The choice is completely yours. The humidity has totally kicked in here in Minnesota so I’m grilling every single night instead of turning on the oven or stove.
If you love teriyaki chicken, then you have to make my Hawaiian Teriyaki Chicken Bowls with Grilled Pineapple Jicama Salsa!Print
Grilled Teriyaki Chicken with the best homemade teriyaki sauce. Recipe is super simple and kid friendly. A perfect weeknight dinner idea for the grill that is healthy!
- 1/4 C soy sauce
- 1/4 C packed brown sugar
- 2 Tb honey or agave nectar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 Tb cornstarch
- 1 C water
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together all the ingredients for the teriyaki sauce then heat over high heat until it simmers and thickens. Allow it to cool.
- Slice the chicken breasts into long strips about 1 inch wide and place in a large bowl. Add about 3/4 of the teriyaki sauce and marinade in the fridge for at least an hour, up to overnight. Save the unused sauce to finish the dish after the chicken is cooked.
- Preheat your grill to medium heat. Place the marinated chicken on the grill and allow it to cook for about 4-5 minutes before turning it over an cooking for another 3 minutes, or until completely cooked through. Place the finished chicken on a clean serving dish and drizzle over the reserved teriyaki sauce before serving.
- Serving Size: 1/6th
- Calories: 188
- Sugar: 15g
- Sodium: 638mg
- Fat: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 24g
- Cholesterol: 79mg
**My friend, this post contains Amazon affiliate links which means I receive a small compensation if you make a purchase using my link, at no additional cost to you. And no worries….I only link to products that I both use and love! ~Carole