How many times have you tried a new recipe and ended up disappointed and frustrated at the time and money you spent for a meal no one liked? I’ve had a few recipes that turned out so badly I ended up in throwing them in the trash or down the garbage disposal. The worst part is having to make yet another meal to feed your family. At my house, this is called an “epic fail” I was pretty confident this White Chicken Lasagna wouldn’t fall into the “epic fail” category.
However, I knew my families first response to a new lasagna recipe would be skeptical at best or full retaliation at worst. Classic lasagna is an all round family favorite, it is always requested for birthday dinners and special occasions, we even made it for Christmas dinner one year. My crew is serious about their love of classic lasagna!
It was no surprise when I placed a big pan of White Chicken Lasagna on the table that I heard moans of disappointment. Followed by “what is this”? “where is your regular lasagna recipe”? “there’s no such thing as White Chicken Lasagna”! “If this is terrible do we have to eat it”? (outside of rare exceptions the answer is always yes.)
I ignored their questions and quietly placed some White Chicken Lasagna on each of their plates and waited. A few moments later I heard “this is great” “I can’t believe how good this is” “Mom you should definitely make this again.” It’s not often a new recipe is met with rave reviews from every single person in my family. The question now is which lasagna will get requested the most?Print
Gluten Free White Chicken Lasagna
A delicious gluten free lasagna with a yummy white sauce loaded with chicken
- 2 (12 oz) cans evaporated milk
- 1 (1 oz) pkg. Any Gluten Free Dry Ranch Salad Dressing (not the dip blend)
- 3 C. cubed, cooked, chicken (about 2 large chicken breasts)
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- 2–3 C. uncooked gluten free penne or lasagna pasta
- 1 C cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 C mozzarella cheese, grated
- ½ Gluten free breadcrumbs
- ¼ Green onions
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish. Cook pasta until about 2 minutes under regular cook time (probably about 5-6 minutes). Drain, add to prepared dish.
- Combine evaporated milk, Ranch dressing and pepper in a 3 quart heavy saucepan. Bring it just to a boil then lower heat, stirring frequently until dry ingredients are dissolved. Simmer, uncovered, 25 minutes, stirring frequently. Sauce will thicken slightly.
- Layer pasta, chicken, sauce, and cheese into dish. Bake uncovered at 350′ for 25 minutes or until hot golden brown and bubbly. Remove lasagna from oven and sprinkle ½ cup gluten free bread crumbs on lasagna, return to oven and brown the bread crumbs for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup green onions before serving.
- Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
Will this freeze ahead for later use please?
I’ve never frozen it Cindy but I think it should work fine.
Hi! Do you have any ideas to modify this to include vegetables? Maybe bell pepper or chopped broccoli or blanched matchstick carrots? I just prefer to make all-in-one dishes as opposed to make an entree and 2 veggies for sides. Thanks!
Hi Hannah! Yes, veggies would be an amazing addition to this. You could do spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, carrots, or peas. If you grab frozen versions, you could save time chopping them up. Definitely want to stick them in the microwave to cook them first, then squeeze out any excess moisture before adding it to the lasagna. Don’t want a soupy result!