To prepare the large portabellos, you need to clean them up a bit more than the normal wipe down with a damp towel. First, use a paring knife to cut off the stem level with the inside of the mushroom.
- 3 T olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 4–5 medium-large portabello mushrooms, wiped clean and stems removed
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature (reduced fat is fine)
- 3 tbsp. mayonnaise (reduced fat is fine)
- 3/4 tsp dried thyme
- 9–10 oz. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 can small artichokes, drained, patted dry and coarsely chopped
- ½ cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Preheat the oven to 450˚ F. In a small bowl combine 2 tablespoons of the olive oil with two thirds of the minced garlic. Scrape the gills from the inside of the mushroom caps. Set the mushroom caps on a baking pan, bottom side up, and brush lightly with the garlic-oil mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 10 minutes. When you remove them, pour off any liquid that has pooled inside the mushrooms before filling.
- Meanwhile, mix the filling. Combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise, remaining garlic, ½ teaspoon of the thyme, spinach and 1/4 C fresh parmesan in a medium bowl. Stir together until evenly blended. Gently stir in the artichokes. Season the mixture with salt and pepper to taste. Evenly spoon the filling mixture into the roasted mushroom caps.
- In another small bowl, combine the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil with the breadcrumbs, remaining 1/4 C Parmesan, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon of thyme. Stir with a fork to blend. Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the top of the filling mixture on each mushroom. Bake for 10 more minutes or until golden and warmed through. Serve immediately.
**To make gluten-free, use gluten free bread to make your breadcrumbs or just top with the fresh parmesan cheese. To make low-carb, just top with parmesan cheese.
- Serving Size: 1 mushroom
- Calories: 314
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 587mg
- Fat: 25g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 15g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 9g
- Cholesterol: 35mg