About three years ago, five of my friends and I took a trip to Minneapolis together and we had a great time….well except for the fact that three of them were pregnant so I kept having to stop the car for them to pee, eat and puke all the time. Of course, we ate ALOT that weekend but that is one of the great things about girlfriends, you can pig out together and not once feel guilty or inhibited by it!
I came across this salad in a restaurant on that trip and I just had to recreate it for my hubby when I got home because I knew he would love it as much as I did. I don’t have the restaurant’s recipe, but this is pretty stinkin’ close and I make it a bunch. The dressing is outstanding and I use it on many different salads, but it is absolutely perfect matched with this one. As far as the ingredients for the salad go, there is just a list for you. Put on as much as you deem delicious for you!Print
- Mixed salad greens (I like spring mix)
- Mandarin oranges
- Blue cheese
- Grilled chicken breast
- Candied pecans (instructions below)
- Maple balsamic dressing (below)
Maple Balsamic Dressing
- 1 medium shallot, finely minced
- 3/4 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 Tb real maple syrup (yes, real makes a difference!)
- 2 T aged balsamic vinegar
- 5–6 T extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toast chopped pecan pieces in a small skillet over medium heat until lightly toasted.
- Add a couple teaspoons of sugar sprinkled over the top and stir quickly.
- Allow the sugar to melt, caramelize and coat the pecans.
- Pour onto a small plate and allow to cool completely.
- Serving Size: 1/6th
- Calories: 539
- Sugar: 21g
- Sodium: 674mg
- Fat: 26g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 13g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 46g
- Cholesterol: 674mg