Honesty time: I had to bribe my children to eat this dish. The green color completely threw them for a loop. I tried to explain to them that it was just pesto and that they would adore it. They love pesto on pasta and pizza. I guess slathering it all over chicken was just too big of a jump for them.
Once I promised a big bowl of ice cream for finishing the chicken, all six of them ate it. And not to say “I told you so,” but they loved it. Even my oldest said, “It is really good Mom, but I just don’t like how it looks!” I have another pan of it in the freezer, so hopefully it will go over a bit smoother next time around!
I love recipes that are so easy to double. One for now, one for later! Many of you have noticed the addition of freezer instructions to some of my recipes. I’ve had some emails asking how I use freezer meals and my own tips. I’m working on putting together a post all about freezer cooking so stay tuned!
The original recipe instructs it to be baked while covered in foil, but I baked it uncovered instead. I’m glad I did. It makes quite a bit of sauce on it’s own when baking. If it would have been covered, it would have boiled instead of baked!!Print
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 C basil pesto
- 3/4 C grated mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Trim chicken of excess fat. Slice lengthwise into 2-4 pieces, depending on size of breast meat.
- Spread some of the pesto in a thin layer across the bottom of your 9 x 13 pan. Lay the sliced chicken on top, then spread on the remaining pesto.
- Cook, uncovered for 25 minutes. Remove pan from the oven and top with the cheese. Return to the oven for another 5-7 minutes until completely cooked. Serve the sauce in pan over noodles or rice, or just over the cooked chicken.
**For freezer, use a disposable foil pan and cover tightly with foil or foil lid. To bake, allow to thaw in fridge before cooking, or bake frozen for about 50 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Serving Size: 1 chicken breast
- Calories: 560
- Sugar: 0g
- Sodium: 295mg
- Fat: 25g
- Saturated Fat: 20g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 2g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 86g
- Cholesterol: 15mg