Parmesan Chicken Bake

Visiting family is such a bitter sweet experience for me.  It is so amazing to spend time with those I love most, but I suffer from such depression after it is over.

After two weeks visiting my parents in Ohio, we are headed back home to Minnesota.  It will be tough on me, but it is so heartbreaking to see how tough it is on my kids.  They have had two weeks packed with wonderful memories that I hope will get them through until next summer.
If you are blessed to have family close by (and by that I mean under a 2 hour drive), be grateful and spend more time with them.  Those of us who only get to see family a couple times a year are very jealous!!!

I am always on the hunt for a great chicken dinner and this is one!  The only problem with this recipe is that it requires you to turn on the oven.  So wait for a cooler day (like under 90) and give it a go.  You won’t be disappointed!  It is delicious and even better the next day as leftovers.  I make two pans at a time :)

Parmesan Chicken Bake
(adapted from Food.com)
6 chicken breasts
1 C light mayonaise or greek yogurt (I have done 1/2 of each as well)
1/2 c fresh parmesan cheese, plus more for the top
1 1/2 tsp seasoning salt (This is NOT regular table salt.  It is a mixture of seasonings)
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder

1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray the inside of a 9×13 glass pan.  Lay the chicken inside the pan.
2.  Mix together the remaining ingredients and spread evenly over each piece of chicken, being sure to cover all the exposed raw meat (so it doesn’t dry out.)  Sprinkle on a bit more fresh parmesan over all the chicken.
3.  Bake uncovered for 45 minutes.  This dish is even better the next day, so just reheat in the microwave!
**Some have commented that this dish was way too salty.  Please be sure you are using fresh parmesan cheese, not the stuff from a can.  Also, use seasoning salt, NOT table salt.  I have made this multiple times and have never had trouble with the salt level.  If you are worried, use less.

Want another amazing Chicken Bake?  Try these ones!!!

Comments

Is the recipe calling for bone-in chicken breast, or skinless boneless chicken breasts? I can’t tell is there is skin on those of not.

Sorry the spelling police cannot let the misspelling in the picture slide.

This looks really delicious though and I actually have all the ingredients. Thank you.

Nicki – sorry for not being more specific. I used boneless and skinless. I think bone in chicken woul be fabulous but I would remove the skin because I would be mushy.

Get OVER the spelling mistake!! I’m sure you have better things to do?!

This will be on the menu for this evening! Can’t wait to taste!

Always looking for easy and delicious meals. Can’t wait to try and I may make this ahead of time for our camping trip. Thanks for posting.

6. Taisia says

This sounds so yummy! I know how hard it is to live far from home. I’m originally from east central MN, and now I live in IL with my fiance. I’ve been here about a year, and it’s so lonely without my family close by! :( I know how you feel.

I just have to chuckle about the whole spelling thing. For those offended, I am sorry. Obviously, it was a mistype on the picture because I got it right four other times throughout the post :)

I should probably change it, but the comments are just too much entertainment for me.

Bahahaha I can’t help but laugh that someone actually asked you to change the spelling aaannddd said it turned them off to the recipe LMAO!

Most of my family is within two hours. I am at this moment planning an 80th birthday party for my mom. All the family will be there. I will definitely remember to be thankful! Thanks for the reminder!

This sounds so yummy! Thanks for sharing. And I didn’t even notice the spelling thing until I read another comment (had to scroll back up and look at it haha)

• says

I have never tried the crock pot. I’m sure it would work, just a soup-ier end result and if not closely watched, it could become tough by cooking it too long. That is always the biggest risk with cooking chicken in a crock pot.

I am making this for dinner tonight! It smells amazing baking. I thought about misspelling the words in this comment on purpose, who cares if it is spelled wrong. If it tastes good then that’s all I care about!

I have the opposite problem. My family lives in Minnesota but I live in West Virginia. 16 hour road trip now that my 2 year old is too old to share my plane seat. Where in MN are you? I grew up in St. Louis Park but my mom (who is visiting us right now) recently moved down to Owatonna.

• Tara says

Oh, I just saw you’re in Marshall. My brother lives in New Ulm, sort of that direction. You prob have to drive past it to get to the big big city, Mankato – ha!

Definetly adding this to m list to try in the next few days (when the weather let’s up). It looks super good!

I am in MN too and have lived here for 13 years. I am from the seacoast of Maine and New Hampshire. I am taking the kids for a 3 week visit in August and I can totally relate. I do not even get to visit every year. Our last was 2 summers ago.

I tell my local friends who have all their family close by to be thankful, especially when I hear them complaining. :)

• says

I haven’t tried it as a freezer meal yet. I have quite a few other freezer meals on my blog, but just haven’t tried this one yet. My first thought is that it should work great. If you try it, come back and let me know how it worked!

It really doesn’t matter, just use fresh. I buy the already grated fresh parmesan cheese in the refrigerator section, but if you have a wedge at home, just grate up a cups worth!

This looks so delicious… Making it tonight! I just moved 700 miles away from my family and to the NE region of the country so I definitely know how you feel! It is a big change! I will be seeing my family in just a few weeks and I am beyond excited :)

I just found your blog via pinterest. i love in Ohio, but grew up in Minnesota – where all my family still remains. I totally understand your sentiments.

Great recipe!

I made this last night and it was amazing. It was also so simple. My boyfriend thought it was the best chicken dish ever. Thanks for posting and I’m definitely looking forward to more recipes.

This was yummy! I made it tonight – super easy and best of all, my 7 and 9 year olds liked it! Thank you!!!

I made this and it didn’t quite turn out the way it looks in the picture… I cooked it for longer and it just stayed completely white, did not brown. Any tips or tricks? It was also “soupy,” as you like to say :(

• says

Three thoughts: 1. Be sure you sprinkle on extra cheese on the top of the dish. 2. I bake mine on the second from the top level of my oven 3. Did you cover it with foil? That would make it soupy and not brown.

Ok, I just popped this into the oven and it smells so GOOD!! When I mixed all of the ingredients into the Light Mayo, I didnt smell the mayo anymore which is a huge plus for me seeing as i hate mayo lol I am hoping I wont taste mayo because this looks so good cooking and I cant wait until 5pm to try it!! :) Thanks Carole!

• says

Any fresh sautéed vegetable would be great or a loaf of crusty bread. It really doesn’t make a sauce so if you make rice or pasta, you would need something else to top them with.

21. Beth says

Made this and loved it! Made it a second time for a bunch of firefighters and changed it a little bit. Added some other spices, used monterey jack cheese, covered with french fried onions, and then a layer of cheese. The guys loved it- although my figure didn’t ;) This is a staple in my kitchen now!

22. Jen reeder says

I liked it a lot, but thought that it was a little salty- anyone else have this problem? Ever tried it with less seasoned salt? I used Lawry’s.
    Thanks!

• Anonymous says

I made this last night and it was way too salty but it could be be ausr I used a little more cheese and it wasn’t grated it was the Parmesan in the container…

• Anonymous says

I used 1/2 tsp salt and 1 tsp Mrs dash because I thought it called tor way too much salt. Turned out great. Wasn’t too salty at all. And i used half the Mayo.

I just made this and we loved it. I didn’t use any mayo I just used greek yogurt. We really liked it. Next time I will use half mayo and see if there is a difference. Thanks for sharing such an easy wonderful recipe!!

Ok…so I made these too yesterday! It was a tough day for my hubby…thought I show him some love and support with a warm, home cooked meal. Needless to say….these were a major hit. My daughter told me to definitely keep this recipe and please make it again!!

Used 1/2 mayo and 1/2 greek yogurt. And they were great. Am now wondering what if I used just greek yogurt and made these not only delicious, but healthy too.

Anyone tried it?

thank you for a great meal!

• says

I have never tried it with pork but I bet it would be great with a nice, thick cut chop. I bet a thick piece of fish would be delicious as well.

I made this tonight, and was not thrilled with how it turned out. I did not have plain mayo, just Miracle Whip. Other than that, I followed the recipe to a tee. They did not brown up well, there was a “soupy” mess in the bottom of the dish, and the Miracle Whip flavor was very dominant. I’m not sure if I will try this one again. :(

• says

Mrs Becker- sorry to hear it didn’t go well for you but I think the use of Miracle Whip is what caused your trouble. If you feel brave enough, try it again with mayo. It will result in a nice thick topping and be sure it is baked uncovered as well.

Had this tonight for aupper. SO good! I might add less seasoned salt next time (but that’s just personal preference). Thank you so much for sharing! Definitely adding this to my list!

How do you think it would work with sour cream instead of mayo? I don’t really like cooking with mayo because of the high calories. I like light or low fat sour cream but not light mayo. I know greek yogurt is the consistency of sour cream….just wondering if you have ever tried this or thought it would work the same.

I made this tonight for supper and it was fabulous and so easy to make! I used half mayo and half greek yogurt and it made the dish so flavorful! Thanks for a wonderful recipe that has become a new favorite with my family!

Tried this tonight for some guest! It was delicious! I added 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper to it for a kick and it was amazing! I am putting this recipe in the book to keep and make again and again!

I made this for dinner tonight and it was delicious! Mine also got a little soupy like some of the comments said (despite in being cooked uncovered) but it didn’t matter because it tasted so wonderful! I did half Greek yogurt and half light mayonnaise and used one clove of fresh minced garlic rather than the garlic powder. I also added a teaspoon or so of fresh rosemary. I’ll definitely be making this again! Can’t wait for the leftovers for tomorrow nights dinner!

Found this on Pintrest last night and made it tonight – it was great! I used all Greek yogurt, which I hadn’t had before but smells like sour cream so I bet that would work too. Didn’t read the comments before so covered it for 2/3 of the time. Was kind of soupy but soooo juicy! Definitely a keeper. I’m from WI and living in VA (and am headed to New Ulm in a few weeks :-) so can ID with the long distance family ties. Will be back to your fab blog, thanks so much!
    Cheers,
    Corinne

Made this last night & it was extremely salty – so much so I had to take all of the top off. Not sure what happened – I only used 1 tsp of salt not even the full 1.5 tsp…

Stopping over to tell you I am making this tonight after pinning it a while ago. I also have an urge to misspell all my words and see if the spelling police come after me….

~Bliss~

Thank you! I’m a mom of 8 children, and am always online trying to find new ideas and inexpensive dinner ideas. Chicken is always a winner.. this recipe will be on the menu tonight.. Yay!

35. Amanda says

I’m curious as to what side you served with this. Is there enough sauce to make noodles (bowties or penne) or rice or did you just make veggies?

• says

Amanda: my result was not enough for pasta or rice. Others have commented that theirs was saucy but mine wasn’t. I served crusty bread and sautéed veggies.

Thanks for this great recipe, we loved it. I found the seasoning salt to be a bit much, so reduced it down the following time I made it. However I have no complaints. I LOVE this recipe. I used fat free mayo, worked like a charm, and doubled the parm cheese on the top;)

Thanks for the recipe! I use half mayo and half greek yogurt and have made both chicken and white fish. It is DELISH! My hubby said that it is the best chicken I have made in years!!! Again, thanks for sharing!

• says

Jenn: sure! I would probably not use as much of the sauce, keep the same temperature and reduce the cooking time about 15 minutes but you will have to check it to see when it is finished cooking.

38. Sheri says

The spelling thing is hysterical to me! I had to look really hard to figure it out! Lol. I’d rather spend my time admiring how delicious it looked! I’ll be trying it for this weeks menu.
    I’m glad you were able to visit family. Mine all lives in my same town except for one brother, he’s only 3 hours away and comes home often. Our mother has been gone for 12 years now and having all of us close has been a huge blessing. With my dad alone now, I’m reminded everyday how blessed I am to have my family close. Thanks for the recipes and also the reminders to be grateful for what we have:)

I agree. Some people are just nuts! The “turns me off this recipe” proves it. I live far from home, too. I’m from Virginia and we are a Armt family stationed in northern Italy. I’ll be having “real” Parmesan cheese tonight, fresh from Parma…

40. karen says

yeah, mine didn’t come out nice like yours. I used greek yogurt and the sauce completely broke. the flavor was there… but it was watery/chunky. Baked uncovered and used boneless skinless. I’m going to try again… it wasn’t enough to deter me. :)

I made this tonight and my family loved it. Even the daughter that doesn’t like mayo LOL. She didn’t know it was cooked in mayo, you couldn’t tell. I used 1/2 mayo and 1/2 greek yogurt and it browned up real nice. Thanks for posting such an easy, delicious meal!!

Just finished feeding my family this and it was a huge hit. Was a little bit watery, any tips on how to keep this from happening in the future? I wa thinking maybe baking on top of a layer of stuffing.

Don’t change the spelling!!! And it’s a recipe people!! Get over yourselves! If spelling turns you off a recipe, that’s your loss.
    Sounds yummy!!! I’m thinking that’s for dinner! Thanks for posting :)

I have made this many times over the years, always used the mayo. it is also delicious on broiled tilapia and to make broiled garlic toast on italian bread.

have you tried making this with sour cream at all? dont have yogurt but have sour cream and mayo, think maybe the mayo may be a bit too rich, didnt know if cutting it with some light SC would still work?
    looks great!

Just made this and it was a total hit!! I added Italian bread crumbs to the extra Parmesan to sprinkle on top, made a nice crunch in top. It was a perfect dish. Thanks so much!

I made this for lunch today. The top browned nicely, and the flavor was amazing. But underneath the beautiful brown part, was a nasty 2/4 INCH layer of watery soupy mess. I ended up taking the chicken out of the water with tongs, and serving it on a plate, but the texture was weird b/c of all of that liquid. I’m wondering if I did something wrong b/c it doesn’t seem like others had this problem? I used all mayo, and followed the recipe exactly. In any case, I’ll definitely make it again, but maybe put a rack in the pyrex so that it can drain and doesn’t sit in the water?

48. Elaine says

I used half mayo and half peppercorn ranch dressing. I also buttered my pan and cooked it uncovered for 45 minutes. Since my chicken went in frozen I covered it and baked it for another 25 minutes. It was a bit soupy but I solved that problem by adding a little more parm, shredding the chicken, and then stirring the whole mixture in with some linguine noodles. It was delicious!

I think the longer you let the chicken sit to cool uncovered it makes the sauce thicken up a little more. But my method worked great for me, the flavor was incredible and my fiance loved it. Also very easy to make in a smaller portion for just 2. :)

If it came out watery did your perhaps use frozen chicken? Just a thought. Also if you are sensitive to the salt try leaving it out. parm cheese is by itself a bit on the salty side!

50. Anne says

I made this last night & I can’t wait to make it again! It was soo good! I was a little nervous using so much mayo, but the chicken came out moist and flavorful! Yummy! Thank you!

Tried this tonight for dinner. It turned out delicious. I used Kraft Cracked Pepper Mayo with Olive Oil. It was a hit with the entire family.

Found this on pinterest- SO AMAZING! I cut the recipe in 1/2 and found it was just enough for my guy and I. Can’t wait to make it again!

What did I do wrong? The mayo separated and I wasn’t able to use any of it for “gravy” so the chicken was very dry.

What about using the grated parm cheese in the container rather than fresh??? What a great pi, I could just eat that. Lol

55. Sally says

After reading the comments I was unclear as to whether you use frozen chicken breast (thawed of course) or fresh raw chicken breast,like cutting up your own chicken. It would make a difference because the fresh would have to bake longer or perhaps be browned first. Which do you use?
    Thanks, I am going to make this for a birthday dinner Sunday!

Made this last night! It was a hit with my whole family! Next time I will leave the salt out, though. Served it with low sodium chicken Rice A Roni and broccoli. Yummy!! Thank you for the recipe!!!

Looking forward to making this! Sounds delicious! As to all the nasty comments, please save that for Facebook. Pinterest fans don’t need to stoop to that level.

Made this the other day..Hubby “hates” mayo so I used 1/4 c mayo and 3/4 c. light sour cream. spread over 5 chicken breasts (just the two of us so I was sure to have leftovers for lunch at work) HA!! we were fighting over the last piece! SOOOO good…. Will be making this a LOT! Thanks !

I plan to make this tonight and was wondering if anyone has used grated cheese instead or used all greek yogurt? How did it turn out? Did the greek yogurt make it tangy?

I don’t have mayo in the house and want to avoid a trip to the grocery store :)

Can you PLEASE adjust the recipe to say “bake UNcovered”? This is a huge part of any recipe and chicken is not cheap. If you bake it covered you ruin it.

I used my pampered chef deep covered baker and made this in the microwave in 15 minutes. The heavy lid doesn’t let any moisture out so the chicken doesn’t dry out. It taste exactly like it was done in the oven!

62. Amy says

Sounds great. Going to try it tonight. And I know what you’re going through. I only saw my grandparents twice a year on the same kind of long trip. It really is hard on you when you’re a kid. I used to cry when we left. I would suggest getting your parents on Skype, if you haven’t already. Your kids can then share everyday little things with them, which was the thing I missed out on and was sooo jealous of with my cousins who lived near by them. I do it now with my son, who have grandparents on the other side of the world! :)

Okay. On a whim, I decided to make this today. Problem: I didn’t feel well yesterday, and thus did no grocery shopping. So, I used some substitutions, as I don’t shop on Sundays for religious reasons. Some of them, because I had to, and others because I thought it’d taste better, given the other substitutions. Here is what I did: 1/2 c. mayo and 1/2 c. sour cream, mixed well; 1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese mixed with 1/4 c. grated Mexican cheese blend; 1.5 tsp. of fresh pesto instead of seasoning salt; 1/2 tsp white pepper; 1 tsp. garlic powder. It is in the oven now and smells delicious! I like how simple and quick it is to prepare. It barely dirties any dishes.

I just read through all the comments. Interesting what people get stuck on. At any rate, if you are cooking it uncovered and it is getting soupy, try reducing the salt (especially if you use sea salt). Salt will pull the moisture out of meat. So, reduce your salt while cooking to make it less soupy and more tender. Also, check your Parm. Some varieties have a higher amount of salt in them. So, if yours is high in salt, use 1/2 Parmesan and 1/2 Mozzarella or other low-sodium cheese of your liking. This should resolve both the salty and soupy issues.

10/21/12-made this tonight-quick, easy and tasty – would be great over pasta; but I served over rice and with asparagus. Note: I used about 5 oz of Greek Yogurt with honey and made up the remainder of the cup with miracle whip light -> I thought using one cup worked out great, because I spooned the extra “sauce” that formed in the pan over the chicken (which was on the rice). Very tasty – thank you!

Super yummy! This recipe is now added into the regular family dinner category. Also, my 4 and 7 year old LOVE it!!! Thank you for posting this recipe!!!! I had to make some substitutions due to allergies. I can’t use black pepper b/c I’m or seasoning salt, so I used just plain salt, some paprika, and onion powder in replace of it. Also, have to use the Greek Yogurt instead of mayo due to eggs. Only had 3/4 cup of greek yogurt tonight so I used sour cream for the 1/4 cup.

Just found this on pinterest……Yum! Making tonight. And I am opposite of you. I live in Ohio and my family lives in MN. We are also blessed to spend 2 weeks w/them every summer.

Everyone loved this dish!!! Super easy and tasted great. I doubled the sauce and would have had plenty to put on pasta, rice or veggies if you wanted to.

Anyone who got a soupy mess, don’t use frozen chicken. That adds a lot of water and I bet it’s why you got soupy results.

I can’t wait to try this dish! Thank you so much for posting! I’m 14 years-old, and LOVE to cook. I’m going to try to double the recipe, because I have so many people to cook for. :)

Just came across the picture of the Chicken recipe on Pinterest. YUM, I need to try it. Looks fantastic. I am typing while I wait to go to church and then having a family dinner, Mexican Style tonight.

I am the worst speller in the entire world. I blame my problem on Catholic Elementary Schools in the 50′s. I was too social. I am fairly smart and educated though.

Please if anyone reads blogs and has problems with spelling, get a grip on your own OCD life and get out of that tunnel world you live in.

Thanks for posting the recipe, I will use Greek Yogart and Miracle Whip (light). I have lost 40 plus lbs and don’t want to take any chances.

Night all from KC, MO.

I made this the other night and felt there was too much salt being used. Scrapped off everything and just ate the chicken, maybe next time it will work better with less salt for me.

Ya know…for people of normal intelligence, our minds automatically adjust mispelled words to the correct word. I didn’t even notice the mistake until it was pointed out because my normal brain did not care that it was mispelled…my brain is smart enough to correct it.

Thank you for this awesome post. I will be trying this recipe.

I just made this tonight. I used a little bit more of equal parts yogurt and light mayo. It came out fabulous. almost two pounds of chicken devoured! Thanks for posting this.

74. Carrie Kester says

Made this for the first time tonight and it was DELICIOUS! My entire family raved about it so much that I sent the link to 6 friends after dinner!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

I made this tonight and loved it! Thanks for posting-I made it with Greek Yogurt and it was great. Thanks for cooking way better than me. :)

To say this is good would be an understatement. I DON’T cook but I tried this last night. My husband would not stop talking about how good it was. He wants me to make it every other day (while we have the leftovers in between):) Thank you for sharing.

You could try it. It may separate more than the mayo does, much like the yogurt does. It will also give you a different flavor than the mayo. Let me know how it turns out.

Oh my gosh, I’m dying in laughter over the spelling nonsense. SERIOUSLY!? We are trying it tonight and I was excited to find that you suggest using the fresh parmesan. I’m having to alter the chicken a little bc I’m lazy and have chunked chicken already thawed. I can’t wait to try this!!! Thank you for sharing this deliciousness and I don’t care how you spell it, I think paremsan sounds just fine to me! LOL!!! I’m looking forward to reading through the rest of your blog!

I’ve tried this recipe two weeks ago. And my husband liked it so much, he took a second helping. I would say it so good and tasty that 9/10 is not overrating it. Thanks for this recipe which will now be a favorite in my household.

From Montreal, Quebec.

Help! I’m making this for the first time tomorrow night to take to a dinner party. I need suggestions for how long to heat it back up for and what temperature? Thanks in advance!!

I just made this for the fam – except I had to use gorgonzola cheese (I mistook it for parmesan) – it was still fabulous (and easy!!) Can’t wait to try it with Parmesan next time. :)

82. Alia S says

Great recipe, the chicken turns out really moist and flavorful. I am going to try this with the yogurt next time in place of the mayo though after it is cooked it looks really oily (I am guess due to both the parmesan and the mayo.) I imagine the yogurt will still have a touch of that, but not as much as with the mayo. Went perfect with a cesar salad and wild rice.

My sister introduced us to this dish about 20 years ago…with variations…we use Miracle Whip, regular jarred parm cheese, and oregano. No seasoned salt. We always make double the sauce and use it for baked potatoes instead of butter. Amazing!! Had it last night and my husband and I were both like this is the greatest meal we can cook on our own!

Who cares about a misspelled word?!

People can be SO MEAN!

Thank you girl for posting this recipe and serving your family.

*to the commenter who said the misspelled word turned her off to the recipe, if you don’t have something nice to say, please don’t say anything at all.

Oh, and i’m trying this recipe tonight, thanks!

Just made the recipe- delicious! I used half mayo half plain Oikos greek yogurt. Very good flavor…would probably do a little less seasoned salt next time if I had to change anything. I also used chicken tenderloins- they were super moist and tender (I’m not a fan of chicken breasts). Would definitely make again!

Tried this recipe tonight. I usually have terrible luck with Pinterest recipes but this one was a success!! So easy!!! Only used 2 chicken large chicken breasts for the hubs and me, and baked for 35 minutes. I wanted the cheese to brown a bit more, so I turned on the broiler real quick.
    Thanks for a keeper!! :)

Made it, family LOVED it. FYI for those who end up with it watery… Try laying tge breasts out on paper towls to soak up extra water, especially if they were previously frozen… Most grocers and packagers add water to the meat and that will come out as it cooks, causing the sauce/topping to be watery or break down like mentioned above… I had this happen the first time I made it and almost.didn’t try again… Good Luck :)

Chandra

i grew up seeing my grandparents and extended family only 2 weeks a year. i have such great memories of those 2 weeks in Britt,IA!!!! i am sure your kids will too!

My computer was out, so I made this from memory last night. The yogurt wasn’t creamy enough, so as I was drinking some wine, I mixed some of that in. I didn’t blend the cheese into the mixture, and as it turns out, that was fine. My husband doesn’t like much cheese, so I topped his with seasoned bread crumbs, I used cheese on mine. The result was really nice! The chicken was tender, not dried out, but it wasn’t saucy. I didn’t want that anyway, so I was pleased. Oh I did use fresh garlic, not powder, but I think the garlic powder would have been better. Served with peas and a baked potato (which I threw in the oven along with the chicken). I also made one separate for my daughter to have before work. This would be a great recipe for one, as well. I couldn’t care less how you spell it! Thanks!

Made it tonight, very easy and tasty. I only used 1 tsp of salt and still tooooo salty for me. Will cut down on the salt more next time for sure.

91. sasha4008 says

Great recipe! I just saw you are in Marshall MN. My family “summers” on Lake Shetek. My moms family is from Walnut Grove and has since moved all over the country, but we maintain a lake house.Its my most favorite place in the world. Thanks for the great blog!

Wow……this is amazing! Second time making it and was even better. I used half the amount of salt(sea salt) and it was sooooo good! Andyour right, left overs were even better….lol

93. Tanya says

Hi this sounds amazing! Just a quick question; could you use the regular powdery Parmesan or would that ruin the recipe? Thank you

Tanya

This recipe was amazing! Thank you for taking the time to post it. Who cares if there is a typo, or even if it was on the side of the mayo jar. I would have never seen it, since I generally do not purchase mayo. Pettiness is so unproductive. Anyhow I was bold and used frozen breast because I did not have time to defrost. I followed the recipe to the t except no salt, and I cooked it longer obviously. Half way in I drained the water at the bottom and continued cooking. It was perfect, brown and bubbly on the top. I totally get the family thing. My parents were in southamerica for most of my married life, and my
    children hardly saw them. But every time we were together it was amazing. Many blessings to you.

Made these last night – they were terrific. I reduce the salt a little – turned out nice and golden like the picture. I also topped some leftover bread with the spread and baked it for a few minutes – Thanks.

96. Sandy says

SEASONING SALT, people. NOT plain, old table salt.
    Anywhooo, now I know what to do with the bulk-size package of chicken breasts, that has been sitting in my freezer! Looks delish! ;)

97. Sandy says

SEASONING SALT, people. NOT plain, old table salt.

Love this – cooked it tonight and rave reviews (except the fussy 6 yr old who wouldn’t try it). Easy, cost effective and looking forward to leftovers tomorrow!
    Sue – Perth, Australia

This recipe is sooo good,delicious, amazingly easy, and now a favorite in my house. I’ve made it four times, with the half yogurt and also with the full cup of mayo, both delicious. I just want to thank you for sharing! Also, I honestly didn’t notice the misspelling until this time around, lol.(4th time making this dish.)

Darci – I am not the best source of information for freezer meals. I worry about freezing the mayo and it separating when you bake it. If you try it, come back and let me know how it went!

I didn’t even notice the typo in the title. I was too busy thinking that Mn and Ohio seem close to me. Our family is across the Atlantic and our visits average one every four years. That and my brain is pretty good at autocorrect :)

Such good reviews of the chicken – I’ll have to try a version.

I am just seeing this wonderful recipe but I have to tell you that I had a nice chuckle at you stressing the difference between season salt and regular salt. Can’t wait to make this during the week!

I just made this and it was delicious. I didn’t have enough parmesan cheese so I used what I had as well as fresh asiago and romano cheeses. Still it was a hit and I will definitely make it again. I called it 3 cheese chicken bake. Thank you.

I’d like to use just Greek yogurt instead of mayo to make it healthier, but I have no idea whether to use a full cup or half a cup (since the recipe says either). Could someone tell me which would be better?

I made this exactly as you have said, but it was way too salty, I think next time I will only put a quarter of the salt & see what happens. What brand of seasoning salt do you use?

I make this recipe almost once a week for dinner now. Instead of mayo I use honey greek yogurt…it takes away the butter flavor and adds a but of sweetness….mmm so good!

I slice rings of onion and put them underneath the chicken no the chicken doesn’t sit right down in the pan. I’ve made this before and the amount of water/fat in the chicken and other ingredients will determine how ‘watery’ the end result is. I also blended lemon juice and capers into my mixture. Cooking as we speak :)

108. Samantha says

Thanks for the recipe, we had it for dinner yesterday and it was a big hit! I couldn’t find seasoning salt in the local supermarkets here in the UK so I improvised and used 0.5 tsp of Schwartz’s Season-All and it was really tasty. The family have already asked for it again.

I’m making this tonight for my boyfriends birthday. I cut the recipe in thirds approximately and cooked 2 chicken breasts. I added panko to one. Hopefully it turns out well :) looks delish

I JUST MADE THIS MEAL WITH THE MIRACLE WHIP AND IT WAS GREAT…WASN’T TANGY AND IT WENT WELL WITH THE PARM. CHEESE. OBVIOUSLY IT ISN’T AS HEALTHY AS THE OTHERS BUT THE FOOD TURNED OUT GREAT.

I had this as the melt in your mouth chicken that some above mentioned and it IS amazing. My husband LOVES it. However he always complains about the fat from the mayo. I am totally excited to try it with 1/2 yogurt (I’m going to try Greek yogurt) maybe this will stop him from accusing me of trying to make him fat. lol. Thanks for the idea.

I’m making this as soon as possible. I’ve enjoyed reading all the comments esp. the ones you could tell didn’t read the entire recipe. Except for the ones whose dish turned out too runny & “could you use frozen” (if you could, it probably would say so), all of the other questions were answered in the recipe. Excerpt from the bottom of the recipe——3. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes. This dish is even better the next day, so just reheat in the microwave!
    **Some have commented that this dish was way too salty. Please be sure you are using fresh parmesan cheese, not the stuff from a can. Also, use seasoning salt, NOT table salt. I have made this many, many times and have never had trouble with the salt level. If you are worried, use less but please don’t make substitutes for what is written!) Thanks for the recipe & the laughs.

Hi, I have made this a few times now and my family loves it. My oldest daughter will attest to the yumminess of it a day later. Thanks for a great new family recipe

I can’t wait to make this, it looks and sounds SO good!

And Carole, I feel your pain regarding being separated so far away from family. My daughter and her family live in Texas and I’m in Michigan’s U.P. I couldn’t get by without using Google Hangout, which is like Skype. My granddaughter is 9 months old and it’s so great to get to see, hear and talk to her, especially now that she seems to recognize us.

115. Jill says

This was awesome. Made as written. Only used 5 chx breasts and spaced the apart in baking dish. Accidentally cooked for nearly an hour and wasn’t dried out. Thx!

I’m A little offended that you demanded people to stay true to your own recipe. Wouldn’t you change the recipe to fit your personal tastes? That being said, I thought it was a little too creamy. I cut down the yogurt to 3/4 a cup. Huge difference.

Well, count me part of the watery sauce crowd, only mine was not only watery but curdled too! I used good quality Amish chicken breasts thawed that had been frozen, full fat Hellman’s mayo 1/2 and 1/2 with Fage plain non-fat Greek yogurt and a Bel Gioioso parmesan wedge that I grated with a regular grater, not a microplane. I followed the directions, cooking uncovered for 45 minutes at 375 degrees so I don’t know how I could have caused this failure…

So disappointed,looked nothing like your picture and was pretty unappetizing. The chicken was a little tough I think from boiling in the liquid. :(

Pammy – It is a bummer that it didn’t work for you but I’m not sure what to tell you. I make this once a month and have never had problems. When I use half yogurt and half mayo, the result is definitely more watery but still delicious. I beg that there are “all these failures” with this recipe. For every one person who has had trouble, there are 20 more who have had great success. I encourage you to give it a try again, use full mayo and watch your chicken before the 45 minutes are up. Every oven is quite different, so watch for the chicken to be just cooked and not just the time. Good luck!

I have made this several times, with all yogurt/no mayo, and it is wonderful. My husband said I can make it anytime. My kids love it. And it is the easiest thing to make. Thank you for sharing!

Salt level is a preference & the fact that you get lippy with your readers is a real turn off for me. I used real Parm, although NOT parmesan reggiano which, IMHO, would be a complete waste of such an expensive ingredient in this recipe. Also keep in mind that different brands of mayo, seasoned salt and parm have different salt levels. Using Hellman’s, a block of parm from the cheese department & LAWRY’S® Less Sodium Seasoned Salt I reduced the salt to 1/2 of what your recipe called for the second time I made this recipe and it was wonderful!

Hi Carole,

You used skinless chicken breasts, correct? And the “fresh” Parmesan cheese; is that the actual shredded cheese or is it the “fresh” grated Parmesan in a shaker container. Sounds delish. Looking forward to trying this.

Carina- yes, I used boneless, skinless breasts but you could easily use spit breasts as well, but I would remove the skin first. Fresh Parmesan is sold in triangles and is not yet grated. They also sell grated fresh Parmesan in small tubs but I greatly prefer the first option. I would not use the stuff in the green canisters.

I pinned this months ago and just have to tell you this is wonderful! I make this all the time as my ENTIRE family (including a picky husband and 3 year old) LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! So, a very big thank you to you:)

Love this recipe… Numerous friends and family members have tried this as well…to the person worried about the spelling!!! Just concentrate on the recipe and eat…. People never cease to amaze me!

I followed every step of this recipe exactly and I read every comment to avoid the ‘soupy’ and just pulled it out and.. it’s soupy. Gosh darnit!

What now?

To be clear, there is liquid that forms on the bottom of the pan. That happens when you cook any meat crowded in a pan and water is released from the protein. What do you do? You eat and enjoy your dinner :) There is liquid in the bottom of mine as well, but I wouldn’t say it is soupy. My kids love the liquid that forms spooned over rice.

All I have on hand is an Italian cheese blend. It has Parmesan in it, do you think it would turn out?

128. Sharon says

This looks delicious and I would love to try it this week. You said you usually make 2 pans. Do you know if the leftovers freeze well? I’m never sure with a new recipe. Also, can you use a regular baking dish instead of glass? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Sharon- yes, you can use a non glass pan but keep an eye on the time for cooking. It will probably be done sooner. I have never frozen this dish so I really can’t tell you one way or another. Let me know how freezing works for you!

I made this tonight for dinner and its delicious! It was not too salty…..it was amazing :o) & its very hard for me to find chicken recipes i like but this one was a hit!!!! I will be making this a lot more …it will prob be in my dinner rotation :o) thank u soo much for sharing this recipe with us! I made this with sauteed green beans and roasted garlic mashed potatoes!

Wow this is my new favorite chicken recipe!! So easy and quick to make. I have made it with boneless skinless breasts but my favorite is boneless skinless thighs. They just melted in your mouth and cut with a fork. I cooked mine 50 minutes. Two thumbs up! Delicious!!!

132. Laura says

I’ve made this recipe several times since I first found it. It is so wonderful!!!! Very moist and tender, my husband, who is very picky, really likes it! Having it for dinner tonight. I reduce the amount a mayo–only alittle.

Made this last night with all nonfat plain greek yogurt and fresh parmesan. It was delicious! Thanks for The recipe.

Made this tonight, delicious, very moist. Only 2 of us so I just used 2 chicken breast and smaller amounts of everything else. After 40 years of cooking you kind of get the hang of amounts needed. I lined my dish with parchment paper, easy clean up. Yes there was a little liquid in the bottom of the dish but so what.

135. Cindy says

Who really cares if something is misspelled, get over it already!! Some people are unbelievable, they gotta be so picky about a word or two not correctly spelled!! I’m currently making this chicken dish and it smells sooooo good that we can’t wait for it to be done. I actually used chicken thighs that my husband debone and skinned, then he cut then in half length wise. We absolutely cannot wait for it to be done!

136. turkish mom says

zank you vor ze recepea :) sorry being not a native English speaker still have trouble with the spelling :)

what are you usually serving with this dish? because in my house, just this isn’t enough :P

137. turkish mom says

Turkish Mom- the recipe makes a nice sauce in the pan so make some rice or noodles then pour the sauce over the top. Make your favorite vegetable as a side dish and you have the perfect dinner! Good luck!

139. Callie Y. says

I made this a week or so ago and we loved it! Mine was a little saucey, but we loved it like that. We drizzled the sauce over some veg.

Tonight I’m throwing some broccoli in and hoping we have the same “sauce” to drizzle over linguine.

140. Carrie says

I made this tonight and it was delicious! (even a spelling error won’t stop this English major from trying something!)

I only had a can of parmesan cheese so I cut back a little on the seasoning salt and it was delicious!

141. Hayle says

Hi. I plan on making this soon and can’t wait to see how it turns out! I know what you mean about living away from family. I live in Hawaii currently but am from Indiana. My husband is Navy and we don’t get to go home very often to see our friends and family. Definitely learned to appreciate the time I have with them.

I made it with Greek yogurt, decreased the seasoned salt to 1/2 tsp. and it was divine! Juicy, tender and flavorful! The mixture didn’t run though I had plenty of liquid from the chicken on the bottom of the pan but it was very flavorful, too! Thank you!

To those bashing the “gramma nazis” who pointed out the spelling error in the picture: They weren’t doing it to be mean; they were doing it to be honest and helpful. It’s not like it’s an error in the main body of the text; it’s a blatant, glaring error in the only pinnable picture. The author is losing potential traffic because people like me won’t pin this. I cannot abide poor writing; it is a mark of the declining values of education, language, and intellect in our backwards society, and therefore I am legitimately turned off to this post. This picture/pin reflects poorly on the author (and, I think, it gives an inaccurate representation of the quality of her writing, which is NOT littered with misspellings). I won’t pin any picture with inaccurate spelling (the masses will never learn if we keep letting them think the wrong way is right), not to mention that I have OCD and a degree in English, so it would drive me absolutely nuts having this on one of my boards.

To the author: I mean you no ill will, nor, I think, did anyone in the early comments I read who pointed out the error, but I, too, am turned off to this because of the misspelling in your picture. Simply put, by not fixing it, you are limiting your blog traffic. Some people are bothered by this stuff; that’s just a fact of life. You can adapt, or accept (and it appears you’ve already chosen the latter–that’s fine; it’s your choice).

To each his own. But quit hating on those of us who would alert fellow bloggers to things that may be hindering blog growth, just because it doesn’t bother YOU. People like YOU are not the only potential readers, and nice people can care about spelling and grammar, too.