Banana Bread Brownies are my favorite recipe with ripe bananas in my fruit bowl. They are super moist and the browned butter frosting on top bring a crazy good salted caramel flavor to take them over the top. Some might call these banana bread bars, but their texture reminds me more of a brownie so I feel they earned that prized title!
Banana and brownies aren’t normally two words that go together. All that is going to change with this recipe! I know you are probably going to try to convince me that these are not brownies but “blondies,” however their texture was too much like a brownie to call them anything else. The only word I help back from adding was “Addictive” but trust me. If you are watching your sugar intake, you may just be better off not even trying a bite because you won’t be able to hold back.
I’ve been making these banana bread bars for quite a few years and when I offered to help out with a friend’s bridal shower, these bad boys were specifically requested by the hostess. It didn’t matter to her whether or not the bride would like them or not. SHE wanted some 🙂
The banana bread brownies alone are amazing, but topped with that browned butter frosting….come on already! Never had browned butter before? Man are you missing out, so try to control yourself and not to eat all the frosting before slathering it over the brownies. It is that good. If you love salted caramel, then this is the best salted caramel frosting you have had.
Banana Bread Brownies VIDEO
Looking for more amazing banana recipes?
Craving more than banana recipes? Subscribe to My Kitchen Escapades to get new recipes and a weekly newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! You can also stay in touch on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, TikTok, and YouTube for all the latest updatesPrint
Need a recipe for your ripe bananas? These banana bread bars with browned butter frosting and amazing!
- 2 1/4 C sugar
- 3/4 C butter, room temperature
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 C sour cream
- 2 2/3 C mashed ripe bananas (about 5–6 bananas)
- 3 tsp vanilla
- 3 C flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 C butter
- 6 C powdered sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 4 1/2 Tb milk
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees and grease a 18×13″ half sheet pan.
2. In a large bowl, beat together the sugar and butter until creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time and beat together. Add the sour cream, bananas and vanilla and mix well. Add the dry ingredients and blend just until combined. You could also add some walnuts or pecans at this point if you wanted. Spread evenly into the prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
3. While the brownies bake, prepare the frosting. In a large saucepan, heat the butter over medium heat until it boils. After it boils, stir it continually as the butter begins to turn brown. You want it a nice rich brown color, but don’t let it go too far! Remove from the heat and add all the remaining ingredients into the pan and beat until smooth. Frost the brownies while they are still hot so some of the frosting melts into the brownies. Cool completely before cutting and serving.
If you want the white drizzle on top, just mix together 1 cup of powdered sugar with 1 1/2 Tb of milk then use your spoon to drizzle them over the frosted bars.
- Serving Size: 1 brownie
- Calories: 292
- Sugar: 17g
- Sodium: 134mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 45g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 40mg