Oven Baked Bacon

For me, the craziest time of the day during the school year is between 7:00 and 7:30 am.
I’ve just finished teaching a 45 minute seminary class to 11 high school students and I have exactly 30 minutes to get my younger four kids out the door.  It is usually a very stressful time and I lose my patience often :)
My kids eat their fair share of cold cereal for breakfast before school, but I try very hard to mix it up for them and their diets.

One of those options I will provide is eggs and bacon.  This recipe for baking the bacon in the oven is perfect for a busy school morning.  Lay it on a pan and throw it in a cold oven….don’t even have to wait for the oven to preheat!!!!

25 minutes later, you have crisp, hot perfection without the disaster of splattered grease all over your stove top to clean up later.

Oven Baked Bacon
1 pound thick cut bacon or turkey bacon

1.  Line a rimmed cookie sheet with aluminum foil.  Lay the strips of bacon in single layer across the pan.
2.  Place the pan in a cold oven, then turn on the oven to 400 degrees.  Allow the bacon to cook for 25 minutes, or until it reaches your desired crispness.

Comments

• says

Ginny- I have never had a problem with smoke. Do you make it using the same method? Mine starts with a cold oven and then only heats to 400.

If you line with parchment paper instead of foil, the grease will cool and coagulate. Then pull up paper and toss (no mess, no need to wash the cookie sheet). Also, for extra yummy, consider pouring some maple syrup over the bacon prior to cooking – delish!

Oven baked bacon is the best! You teach seminary? My husband just got called to that last week, and started teaching today :) He has 4 and teaches them in our basement.

3. Brenda Elton says

Carole – we finally got around to trying this and loved it! It will be my new method for cooking something I used to hate making!

Agree with Ginny Miller…when cooking bacon in the oven, the smoke is so bad we have to open the kitchen window/back & front doors!!! But will try in a cold oven vs preheated

August 27, 2012

5. Renee says

This is the only way I cook bacon as well, after discovering it a couple months ago!! A thousand times easier to cook bacon! Except I put it on a rack with the foil underneath so the fat drips! :)

My husband is one of five kids. With that many to feed this is the only way his mom ( and now I) do bacon. We also do grilled cheese on a large cookie sheet under the broiler. 8 grilled cheese ready at the same time!