These bars have been at the top of my list of recipes I wanted to try so I was excited to finally get the excuse to make them. They were actually easier to make than I first anticipated and that is always a great thing! The longest part is just waiting for each individual layer to cool, but feel free to use the fridge or freezer to help that process speed up.
- 1 C salted butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 C powdered sugar
- 2 C flour
- 2 1/2 C caramel squares (about 2 bags)
- 3 Tb heavy cream
- 2 C milk chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees and spray a 9×13 pan lightly with nonstick spray. In a large bowl, beat the butter until soft, then add the salt, vanilla and sugar. Beat until smooth. Add the flour and carefully combine. Press mixture evenly across the bottom of the pan and bake for about 35 minutes until the edges begin to brown. Set aside to cool completely.
2. Melt the caramel squares and cream in a medium microwave safe bowl in the microwave. Heat for 3 minutes on high, stopping to stir after each minute. Spread the melted caramel over the cooled crust and place in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes to allow the caramel to cool.
3. In a small microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips for 2 minutes, stopping to stir after the first minute. Spread evenly over the cooled caramel and return the pan to the refrigerator until the chocolate is set. Cut into squares to serve.
ay. Act surprised please when you see her version in a “new” post in the weeks to come 🙂