Breakfast cookies….yes, they are a real thing and no, they aren’t your standard chocolate chip cookie recipe. These are loaded with oats, fruit, nuts and a dash of honey. Super healthy recipe that is kid friendly, healthy, gluten free and my favorite breakfast for on the go!
This week, I accomplished two big Back to School requirements: school supply shopping and school clothes shopping. For a momma of six kids, that is a massive undertaking and I am so glad it is over. Now if you would please take a moment and click on a few of my ads so I will be able to pay for all those supplies and clothes 🙂
I’ll wait a couple minutes while you click….
Back to School time also means I get to start stressing about what to serve for breakfast during the maddening school mornings. The easy option is cold cereal. However, life has taught me that the easy option is usually not the right option.
Time to start experimenting with some new, healthy, quick and delicious breakfast options! If it isn’t delicious, my kids won’t eat it and then I’m stuck with the lousy cold cereal once again.
Full disclosure time….I was completely convinced these were going to be disgusting. No sugar, no flour, no eggs but I was greatly surprised! No, these are not like your favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe. Again, there is no flour, no sugar and no eggs so don’t be expecting that type of cookie result. However, they are crispy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside. The raisins and coconut add a bit of sweet, the pecans that salty crunch and the banana rounds out the flavor for a perfect breakfast! If you want the sweetness without the banana flavor, use unsweetened applesauce instead. I actually slightly prefer the cookies made with applesauce.
These will be a staple in my home for a quick breakfast on the go as my kids run out the door for school, late of course. If you are blessed with timely children, count your blessings. They are the kids who really deserve to eat cookies for breakfast for being on time!Print
These healthy oatmeal breakfast cookies come together really quickly and are loaded with whole grains, fruits and nuts. This recipe is super kid friendly and make a great grab and go meal!
- 1 1/2 C whole rolled oats
- 1 C coconut flakes
- 1 Tb ground flax seed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 C coarsely chopped pecans or desired nut
- 1/2 C raisins or desired dried fruit
- 1 C unsweetened applesauce OR 3 ripe mashed bananas
- 1/4 C canola or coconut oil
- 1 Tb honey or agave
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a large cookie sheet lightly with nonstick spray. Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl then add all the wet ingredients. Mix well until combined.
- Press about 2 rounded tablespoons of the mixture into a 2 inch cookie cutter to form the cookie. Remove the cutter and form the next cookie. You can place them all on one pan because they do not spread so keep them close together. Bake for 25 minutes then cool completely on the pan.