Baking with my kids is always a such a long process and the results are never picture perfect. However, baking Christmas cookies with my four year old this week humbled me a lot. The pure joy on his face and in his words helped me get over my obsessive control issues.
He smashed each cookie so flat that I had to reform them when he wasn’t watching. He almost caught me a couple times…
I tried to keep the red and green sugars separate but he insisted on using both colors on every cookie. He was right. They looked better that way.
Yep, it was one of those days that I realized I should have more often. Something so simple I was going to do anyway, so why not include him? It meant so much to him. In fact, as each member of our family returned home that evening, he took at least 10 minutes with each one of them and told them how he had made the Christmas cookies. Completely adorable.
These are my kids favorite cookie that I made every year for Christmas. Buttery, crunchy from the flakes and the slight almond flavor really is outstanding. My favorite is still my Grandmother’s Italian pizzelles, but these are a close second for me. These also have a great shelf life, which makes them perfect for the holidays.Print
- 1 C butter, room temperature
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3/4 C crushed corn flakes (I usually use Frosted Flakes because that is what I have on hand)
- 2 1/4 C flour
- colored sugar (use whatever color is appropriate for the season!)
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Use your mixer with the paddle attachment and beat together the butter and sugar until light. Add the egg yolk, almond and salt. Beat and then scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the crushed corn flakes and mix in. Add the flour and mix on low until completely combined. It is a dry dough. Using a 1 1/2″ cookie scoop, level out each portion and place on your non-greased pan. Dip a fork lightly in flour and press down slightly on the top of the cookie in both directions to make the grid pattern. Sprinkle on the colored sugar.
- Bake for 12 minutes until just beginning to brown. Do not over-bake! Remove immediately from the pan and allow to cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container for 2 to 3 weeks.
- Serving Size: 2 cookies
- Calories: 235
- Sugar: 9g
- Sodium: 41mg
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 26g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 48mg