Zucchini Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
My favorite zucchini recipe becomes this triple layered moist cake which is then slathered in a fabulous lemon cream cheese frosting!
- 3 C flour
- 3 C white sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 C oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 C grated zucchini
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 C butter, room temperature
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 4 C powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly spray three 6″ round cake pans and line the bottoms with wax paper or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients for the cake. In a medium bowl, beat together all the remaining ingredients for the cake. Pour into the dry ingredients and mix well. Divide evenly between the three pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the cake bounces back when gently touched in the center. While the cake bakes, use a wooden spoon to beat together the cream cheese, butter and lemon zest until smooth. Add the remaining frosting ingredients and mix until smooth and lump free.
- Cool the cakes for 10 minutes in the pan, then invert onto a cooling rack. Remove the pan and slowly peel away the wax/parchment paper liners. Allow to cool completely before frosting.