Zucchini Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting is the best recipe to use all the garden surplus you have! A triple layer cake that is so dense and moist, then you slather a killer lemon cream cheese frosting all over it.
I think once school is back in session, there is somehow a shift in the time-space continuum. That first day of school, I feel all full of determination and dedication to finishing all the projects that have to get done. Especially now that 5 of my 6 kids are in school for 7 hours a day.
I should have all the time in the world to get them done…..right???
Well, we are about to finish our second week of school and my to-do list only grew. When I sit back to try to figure out where those 70 hours of almost child free hours have gone, I am at a complete loss. The most pressing matter on my project list is my garden. So much food that needs to be canned or frozen!! Don’t even get me started on my apple tree that decided to start dropping fruit 3 weeks earlier than normal. Usually when feeling this overwhelmed, I will get up a few hours earlier to give myself more time. I am currently getting up at 5:00 am. I don’t think getting up at 3:00 am would do me or my family much good.
The closest thing I have done to preserving my garden’s bounty was this amazing zucchini cake. Though, it was gone in less than 24 hours, so I’m not sure I could count it as preserving. I loved how easy it was to mix together in a bowl, with no need to haul out my mixer. If you want a simpler version, just bake it in a 9×13 inch pan instead!
Need another zucchini recipe? These Carrot and Zucchini Bars will be just what you need!
Zucchini Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
My favorite zucchini recipe becomes this triple layered moist cake which is then slathered in a fabulous lemon cream cheese frosting!
- 3 C flour
- 3 C white sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 C oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 C grated zucchini
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 C butter, room temperature
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 4 C powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly spray three 6″ round cake pans and line the bottoms with wax paper or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients for the cake. In a medium bowl, beat together all the remaining ingredients for the cake. Pour into the dry ingredients and mix well. Divide evenly between the three pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the cake bounces back when gently touched in the center. While the cake bakes, use a wooden spoon to beat together the cream cheese, butter and lemon zest until smooth. Add the remaining frosting ingredients and mix until smooth and lump free.
- Cool the cakes for 10 minutes in the pan, then invert onto a cooling rack. Remove the pan and slowly peel away the wax/parchment paper liners. Allow to cool completely before frosting.