One week left. Quiet. Peace. Productivity. All gone in a week….
One week until:
“Mom, I’m bored!”
“Mom, tell her to leave me alone!”
“Mom, I need to go to practice!”
“Mom, it’s summer vacation and I can sleep in!”
“Mom, we’re going to be late for my game!”
“Mom, this house it so boring!”
“Mom, I need a ride to my friend’s house!”
Summer break is such a bitter/sweet experience for me. Most of it is sweet and enjoyable, but those bitter moments sure seem to make me want to run away until Labor Day.
I feel a bit guilty about my honest reflections on summer but what can I do? When it gets crazy this summer, I’ll just hide in the kitchen creating something yummy like these muffins. Dense, moist and a hint of orange. Don’t be afraid to use the whole peel of the orange as the recipe dictates….they turn out great!Print
- 1/2 small navel orange, cut into 6 pieces including the peel
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 C flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 C butter, slightly firm
- 1 C sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375 and line muffin cups with paper liners.
- Fit food processor with steel blade and process the orange pieces until finely chopped. Add the cream cheese and process. Scrape down the bowl and process again. The mixture should retain some orange texture
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer fitted with the paddle, beat butter on medium speed until smooth and light in color. Stop the machine and add the cream cheese mixture then mix for one minute. Add the sugar in a stead stream then blend in the eggs and yolk one at a time, allowing each egg to incorporate before adding another. Add the vanilla.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the flour mixture in three additions, mixing just until blended after each addition.
- Using a standard ice cream scoop, portion the batter into the muffin liners and baking for 20-22 minutes until the tops are springy to the touch.
- Remove muffins from pan and allow to cool on a rack.
recipe from Great Coffee Cakes, Muffins and More
- Serving Size: 1/12th
- Calories: 261
- Sugar: 18g
- Sodium: 276mg
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 76mg