- 6 large Yukon Gold, Russet, or red potatoes
- 3/4 C sour cream
- 6 Tb mayonaise (not Miracle whip)
- 3/4 C shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 12 strips bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled or 2.5 oz bag precooked bacon pieces
- 1 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp kosher salt, divided
- If you desire, peel the potatoes or leave the skin on for a more rustic salad. Dice the potatoes into bite sizes pieces. Put them in a large pot of water and cover the potatoes with cold water. Add 1 tsp kosher salt to the water, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, cook for about 8-10 minutes depending on the size of the potato pieces. You want them tender enough to cut through them with a fork, but not so tender that they fall apart. Keep an eye on them! Drain the potatoes and set aside to cool a bit.
- Mix together all the remaining ingredients in a medium bowl, holding back a bit of the green onions and bacon for the topping on the salad. Once the potatoes have cooled slightly, mix in the dressing, top with the green onions and bacon you set aside.
- Serve immediately if you would like it warm. You can also serve it cold, but wait to top it with the extra chives and bacon until serving.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Boiled
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/12th
- Calories: 148
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 490 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 18 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 7 g
- Cholesterol: 12 mg
Keywords: loaded baked potato salad