Homemade Honey Wheat Bread, hot and fresh from the oven! There is nothing better in the world than the smell of bread baking, unless of course you wait a few minutes so you can slice it hot and slather it with tons of butter 🙂 This whole wheat bread recipe is my absolute best recipe because it is so soft, tender and perfectly chewy. No dry, crumbly stuff allowed! It is all because of one secret ingredient!
- Jello: Mormon Mom’s keep Kraft foods profitable solely on their consumption of Jello. If you are a bit shy about taking on this tradition, you might want to steer clear of the classic green Jello with shredded carrots, pineapple and raisins.
- Steed Family: When you go visit any church history site, please be sure to ask the kind missionaries who are leading your tour, “Where exactly did the Steeds live?”
- Mom Jeans: Please know that when you go for your temple recommend interview one year from now, there will be no question or requirement of wearing Mom Jeans.
- Wheat Bread (or Brick): While I understand wanting to use the tons of wheat in your food storage, you must be careful not to scar your beautiful children for life at the mention of the word wheat. Wheat is your friend when used correctly. Please don’t let anyone convince you that if you chew the berries long enough, it will turn into gum.
- MST (Mormon Standard Time): There is a great change in the space/time continuem on Sunday mornings. Even though you can get yourself and your kids up and out the door on time every other day of the week, Sunday mornings move at a different speed. You can wake up three hours before church starts and still end up walking in right before the sacrament is passed.
To help you combat #4, here is a great honey wheat bread recipe that is very kid friendly because it has a bit more honey than the average loaf. I make four loaves of this stuff a week! I know it will be tempting to skip out on the vital wheat gluten, but do NOT give into that temptation. It is what makes all the difference in this recipe. It gives that soft, tender and chewy result all other recipes are missing!
If you love this Honey Wheat Bread, then go jump over to print out my Easy French Bread recipe as well!
Honey Wheat Bread
This is the best homemade wheat bread recipe you will find! The addition of the vital wheat gluten fixes everything that is wrong with normal wheat bread.
- Yield: 2 loaves 1x
6 C whole wheat flour
1/3 C vital wheat gluten
3 1/4 tsp yeast
2 1/2 C hot water (120–130 degrees)
1 Tb salt
1/3 C vegetable oil
1/3 C honey
3 1/4 tsp lemon juice
In your mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine 3 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour, the vital wheat gluten, and the yeast. Add the hot water. Mix well then allow it to sit for 10 minutes.
Add the salt, oil, honey and lemon juice and mix. Add the remaining 2 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup at a time and allowing it to mix in completely before adding more. Let the dough knead in the mixer for 8-10 minutes until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
Remove the bowl and cover with a towel. Place in a warm spot to rise about one hour.
Spray two loaf pans with nonstick spray. Dump risen dough onto lightly floured surface and divide in half. Form into a loaf shape and place into the sprayed pans. Preheat oven for 1 minute to warm it up a bit, then turn it off. Place pans into the oven and allow the dough to rise until it comes to the top of the pans, about 20-30 minutes. Leave the pans in the oven and turn the oven on to 350 degrees and bake for 30 minutes.
Once fully baked, remove the bread from the pans onto a cooling rack.
- Serving Size: 1/6th loaf
- Calories: 184
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 585mg
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 29g
- Fiber: 13g
- Protein: 12g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Daniel L. Brewster says
I wasn’t able to find the recipe! I have been baking whole wheat bread 25 years, ever since our daughter came home from church with a loaf of bread she had baked. Would LOVE to compare recipes.
Thank you Daniel for the head’s up! Not sure what happened there but I will get it back up and on the blog.
mike kopchik says
I also can not find the Honey Whole Wheat bread recipe would you please just send it to us that have asked. Thank you.
Thanks Mike! I have it up again and will email you a link so you can print it out. My apologies for the frustration!