- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk, or more, as needed
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken breast
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Melt butter in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add celery, carrots and onion, stirring occasionally until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
Add thyme until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in flour or cornstarch until lightly browned, about 1 minute.
Gradually stir in chicken broth and milk, and cook, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened, about 1-2 minutes, add in potatoes. Bring soup to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until potatoes reach desired tenderness, about 12-15 minutes. Be careful not to over cook the potatoes.
Stir in chicken and cheese, a handful at a time, stir until smooth, about 1-2 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
If the chowder is too thick, add more milk as needed until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve immediately, garnished with parsley, if desired.
- Serving Size: 1/10th
- Calories: 344
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 346mg
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 21g
- Cholesterol: 80mg