I am in the process of trying to solve some stomach issues for Jones baby #5. Last week, we eliminated dairy and then reintroduced it to see if that was the culprit but no luck. Our next attempt was to tackle gluten and this week has been a lot more difficult for him than the dairy. Being gluten intolerant myself, I totally empathize with my little dude. It is miserable.
In an attempt to bring some fun to his lousy week, I whipped up these killer gluten-free treats 🙂 I would normally have used pretzels for that addictive sweet and salty combo, but pretzels are a no-no this week. Caramel Chocolate Covered Potato Chips are born!
My main tip for this recipe is to only coat one side of the chip with the caramel and chocolate or it will get a bit soggy.These will last for a couple days in an airtight container but are best the day they are made.
- 25 rippled potato chips
- 15 Kraft caramels
- 3.5 ounces quality dark or milk chocolate
- 1/4 tsp of coconut oil or shortening
- Chopped peanuts, optional
- Unwrap the caramels and put them in a small microwave safe bowl with 1 tsp of water. Microwave on high for one minute then stir until combined. Use the spoon to spread a thin layer of caramel on one side only of a potato chip. Place it on some wax paper to harden and repeat with remaining chips.
- Place the chocolate in a small microwave safe bowl with the coconut oil. Heat on high for one minute. Stir well and microwave for another 30 seconds if it is not completely melted. Use the spoon to place a thin layer of chocolate over the caramel on the chips then sprinkle on the chopped nuts if using. Allow the finished chips to sit in the fridge for 15 minutes so the chocolate firms.