I always get excited when it is going to be this little guy’s birthday and it is completely for a selfish reason. I’m not ashamed. You see, out of all six of my kids, he is the only one who loves chocolate cake as much as I do and he is the only one who asks for a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting for his birthday. This fact alone wins him the “Favorite Child” label.
Even though I have been decorating cakes/cupcakes for many years, I have never been completely in love with my chocolate cake recipe. Over the years, I’ve kept searching and tried many different recipes but never found anything considerably better than what I was using already. That all changed last week.
I ceremoniously burned my old recipe because I know I will never, ever need it again. This. Cake. Is. It!
I don’t use the term “the best” all willy nilly. When I make a recipe that claims something to be the best, I expect the best. I promise this will not disappoint you. The. Best.
If you have the best chocolate cake, you better have some rockstar frosting to slather all over it, right? My absolute favorite chocolate buttercream frosting is THIS ONE. Together with this cake, I have finally found chocolate cake perfection after such a long, long search. You’re welcome.Print
- 2 C sugar
- 1 3/4 C flour
- 3/4 C + 2 Tb unsweetened dutch processed cocoa
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 C buttermilk
- 1 C prepared coffee (I used decaffeinated instant coffee for my chocolate baking since I don’t drink coffee)
- 1/2 C vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and grease two 9 inch round pans, or a 9×13″ cake pan. If using rounds, I like to line the bottom of my rounds with parchment so they come out without sticking!
- In a large bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients. Add all the wet ingredients and then beat until completely combined. Divide the batter between the two rounds evenly.
- Bake for 35 minutes for round pans or 40 minutes for rectangular pan. Times may vary to test with a toothpick in a center. Only a few moist crumbs should stick….no raw batter!
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing the rounds from the pans to cool completely. Frost once cool.
- Serving Size: 1/12th (just cake)
- Calories: 306
- Sugar: 34g
- Sodium: 415mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 51g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 5g
- Cholesterol: 32mg