Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are made perfectly moist with the addition of sour cream to the batter. These homemade muffins stay fresh for days and freeze beautifully!
I needed something sweet and indulgent this week. I was one sad little Mom and these Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins really filled a gap in my heart. Don’t judge….chocolate can do that for some people.
For the first time in 21 years, I do not have a little shadow “helping” me in everything I do during the day. My little baby girl began Kindergarten this week and it was a difficult moment when I had to drop her off on Monday morning. With six children, I can barely remember a time when there weren’t little hands making a mess of every room I just cleaned, or little eyes filled with tears because it was nap time, or little ouchies to kiss at every fall and bump of the head.
This is a new season in my life and I feel a bit like a lost puppy trying to find its way home.
If your fruit bowl is anything like mine, there are always brown bananas littering the bowl because no one will eat them once they have any dark markings. I usually toss them in my freezer and use with my rockstar Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie but when I opened my freezer, I must have easily had 15 bananas already there. That meant it was time for some baked banana yumminess. And since my heart was broken, I knew the addition of chocolate chips was also in order.
These were nothing short of fabulous. The addition of sour cream to the batter really makes these banana chocolate chip muffins nice and moist, plus I was generous with the amount of chocolate chips so while they may be categorized as a “breakfast food”, I could eat these all day as a dessert. And I just might.
Normally, I would have made these in my favorite silicone baking cup liners, but when I went to go grab them, they were missing. Want to guess where I found them? Outside in the sandbox.
If you love muffins, then be sure you print this amazing recipe for Blueberry Streusel Muffins!Print
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
A perfectly tender banana muffin studded with chocolate chips throughout. Last for days and freezer really well!
- Yield: 12 muffins
- 1/2 C butter, room temperature
- 1 C sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 C sour cream
- 3 large overripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 C flour
- 3/4 C chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar together until smooth then add the eggs, again beating until smooth. Add the sour cream, mashed bananas and vanilla. Mix together.
- Add all the dry ingredients and gently fold them into the wet ingredients, just until barely mixed. It is ok to have some streaks of flour in your finished batter. Do not over mix or you will have tough muffins. Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners and fill them to the top with the batter. You can also sprinkle a few more chocolate chips on the tops at this point.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, until the middle of each muffin is set and no longer doughy when you touch them. Remove them from the pans and cool on a wire rack.
**My friend, this post contains Amazon affiliate links which means I receive a small compensation, at no additional cost to you, if you make a purchase using my link. If you decide to give these products a try, I will be your bestie if you would use the links from this post. And no worries….I only link to products that I both use and love! ~Carole