Egg Sausage & Hashbrown Bake

So before all of you go “New Years Healthy” on me, I have to throw out one more indulgence.  Hurry up and go make it before Tuesday rolls around.  We all know that calories don’t count between Christmas and New Years Eve.  But the second we hit 2013, it is nutritional law to be good little girls and boys once again.

I hoped you enjoyed your healthy eating holiday as much as I did.  I partied it up :)

This recipe has been kicking around my recipe box for 15 years and the way I make it now has very little resemblance to the original.  It is a great recipe for feeding a lot of people breakfast and being sure they are full until lunch.

I usually use shredded hashbrowns when I make this, but the grocery store was all out so I used cubes.  I definitely prefer the shredded potatoes instead!
Egg Sausage & Hashbrown Bake
1 pound sausage, browned
10 eggs
3/4 C milk
5 C frozen hashbrowns, thawed
5 green onions, chopped
1 C shredded cheddar cheese
salt and pepper
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 9 x 13 casserole dish with nonstick spray.
2.  In a large bowl, beat together the eggs and milk.  Add all the remaining ingredients and mix together.  Pour into the prepared casserole dish and if desired, top with a bit more cheese.  Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the center does not wiggle when you shake the dish.

Comments

• CAH says

I use 8 eggs and increase milk to 1 1/4 cups. I also increase hash browns to 6 c. and lightly brown them so it is not as wet with the increase in milk. Sooooo good, especially for my gluten-free hubby! Sprinkle on a bit more cheese as it comes out of the oven if you are worried it won’t hold together. It will melt in the minute or so before you cut to serve.

• says

I’m so glad it turned out so well for you! Take some time to browse around and I know you will find some more great recipes to try out -Carole

Well, you can always reduce the amount if eggs, but then you need to reduce all the other ingredients. The eggs are the glue that holds this dish together. You will want to use a smaller dish as well.

Thank you soooooo much for a great recipe!! Not only is this sooo simple but very delicious too. I have made this soo many times in the past few months that I think I’ve just about memorized it! LOL I bake it almost exactly as is but add some more cheese(usually double–2C), add a little bit garlic salt & onion powder–such a hit anywhere & anytime I make it. Making one right now for a ladies church bible study, gotta be fed spiritually & physically :)

Thanks for helping me make a great brunch today for unexpected guest. I took out onions, doubled recipe , half the sausage because I was going to add baccon. Decided to serve it on the side. Added white black pepper and no salt seasoning along with salt. Yum and easy since my guest cracked 20 eggs!

4. Brooke says

I was wondering how many people would this serve? (recipe above) I want to do an egg bake for a breakfast for my husbands varsity basketball team. Keep in mind it would be 10 teenage boys plus two coaches. How many pans do you think would feed them? Thanks! :)

5. Jessi says

Thank you for sharing this recipe. I’m the mom to 3, soon to be 4, hungry boys, so I’m always looking for yummy, easy recipes that make a lot of food!!!

6. Sherry Vogt says

My friend bakes this with just 6 eggs…1 cup milk….1 pkg hashbrowns-and she browns them first before adding to casserole dish…shredded cheese…and bakes for about 20 mins..then takes out adds more cheese to the top and then finishes baking..delicious!!!