The perfect fall dinner that will quickly become your new family favorite recipe for this time of year!
2 butternut squash, cut in half lengthwise, seeds removed
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 pound thick cut bacon, diced
1 onion, diced
8 ounces baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
8 ounces baby spinach
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup slivered almonds
3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup flat leaf Italian parsley, chopped
kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place squash on sheet pan, cut side up. Brush on olive oil and season with the salt & pepper. Roast until the squash is fork tender, about 35-45 minutes depending on size.
- While squash roasts, heat large skillet over high heat and add diced bacon. Cook until crispy, then drain pieces on paper towel, reserving 1-2 tablespoons of the bacon drippings in the pan.
- Add the onion and mushrooms to the bacon drippings and sauté on high until the onions soften and mushrooms begin to brown. Add the garlic and stir well.
- Add the spinach in batches and allow it to wilt as you mix it in.
- Remove from the heat. Add the almonds, parmesan cheese, and parsley. Taste and add any needed salt and pepper.
- Fill the roasted squash with the filling and if desired, add a bit more cheese over the top. Place under the broiler for a few minutes and serve.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 322 calories
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 460 mg
- Fat: 18 g
- Saturated Fat: 5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 31 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 11 g
- Cholesterol: 27 mg
Keywords: butternut squash recipe, fall dinner ideas