A healthy side dish recipe using butternut squash, that you roast in the oven with a garlic and cheesy gratin topping.
- 1 medium butternut squash (around 3 lbs)
- 3 Tb butter
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 C panko bread crumbs
- 1/3 C freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 Tb fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and spray a glass baking dish with nonstick spray. Peel the butternut squash, then cut it in half, removing the seeds. Slice in 1/2 inch slices and arrange them in the baking dish.
- Melt the butter in the microwave then add the minced garlic. In a medium bowl, toss together the panko bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, and 1 Tb of the garlic butter. Use the remaining butter to spread over the sliced squash the season it with the salt and pepper. Evenly sprinkle the squash with the bread crumb mixture.
- Bake for 30- 40 minutes until squash is tender, then increase the temperature to 425 and bake another 5 minutes until golden brown on top. Sprinkle with fresh parsley before serving.
Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker