Perfect little bites of deliciousness for your next party, holiday, or even as a main dish at dinner this week!
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
24 medium portobello mushrooms
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 pound mild ground Italian sausage
4 cloves garlic
Stems from 20 of the mushrooms
1 celery stalk, roughly chopped
1/2 small onion, roughly chopped
3 pieces bread, toasted and diced very small
10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1/3 cup + 2 Tb freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and lightly grease a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Clean mushrooms with a barely damp towel and remove stems. Save 20 of them for the stuffing.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil, the mushroom caps, salt, and pepper. Sauté caps 5-7 minutes until they are lightly browned and tender on the edges.
- Remove from the pan and place mushrooms on a clean towel, insides facing down towards to towel to allow excess moisture to drain away.
- Return skillet to the heat and add sausage. Cook and break it up into small pieces until there is just a bit of pink left in the meat.
- While the sausage cooks, place garlic, mushroom stems, celery, and onion in a food processor. Pulse just until it is chopped into small even pieces. Do not over chop. Add to the sausage and sauté them for together for 3-5 minutes until sausage completely browns and vegetables soften. Transfer into a bowl.
- Add dry spinach and mix to combine. Add bread and 1/3 cup cheese and toss just long enough to evenly distribute in the stuffing. Do not over mix.
- Place mushroom caps on baking sheet and use a small spoon to fill. Be sure the stuffing fills the whole inside of the cap and also piles on top of each mushroom. Sprinkle on remaining 2 tablespoons cheese then bake for 6-8 minutes until stuffing edges begin to crips and cheese melts. Serve immediately.
* you can use hot Italian sausage if you want to make them with a bit of spice
- Serving Size: 1 mushroom
- Calories: 85
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 230 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 7 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 11 mg
Keywords: easy appetizer recipe