How to make Greek yogurt at home!
- 1/2 gallon (8 C) skim milk
- 1 C nonfat powdered milk
- 1 C store bought plain nonfat greek yogurt
- Combine the milk and powdered milk in your crock pot. Heat on high for around 2 to 2 1/2 hours until the milk is at least 180 degrees.
- Leave the cover on (or a skin will form on top) and allow the mixture to cool about 2 hours until it is around 110 degrees but be sure it is below 120 degrees or it will kill the active yogurt cultures you are about to add. It helps to occasionally open the lid as it cools and stir to allow the heat to escape faster.
- Remove a couple ladles of the warm milk mixture and whisk in the store bought yogurt until smooth. Add this mixture into the warm milk in the crock and whisk until completely mixed. Promptly cover your crock and wrap your crock pot with a thick blanket or two. Your desire is to keep this mixture warm for as long as possible. Allow it to sit 8 – 12 hours.
- You can now either eat your yogurt as is or strain it in some cheesecloth or coffee filter to remove some of the excess whey. That will result in a thicker yogurt. I carefully transfer it to a rubbermaid container without mixing it. As it sits, the excess whey will rise to the sides which you can then remove with a spoon. Each time I get some yogurt out, I remove any whey that has pooled.
- Add your favorite toppings: jelly or jam, honey, nuts, granola, fresh fruit (whole or pureed), maple syrup or other sweetener.
Keywords: healthy, homemade