A perfectly light and delicious dessert for when the weather is warmer!
1 cup (3 ounces) sifted plain cake flour
1 1/2 cups (10.5 ounces) sugar, divided
12 large egg whites at room temperature
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 pound fresh strawberries, sliced
1/4 cup (50 g) sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a small bowl, mix together the flour with 3/4 cup of sugar. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites at low speed until just beginning to froth. Add the cream of tar and the salt. Beat at medium speed until the until whites become soft and billowy. With the mixer still at medium, slowly sprinkle on the remaining 3/4 cup of sugar until all the sugar is added and the whites are shiny and form soft peaks. Add the vanilla, lemon juice, and almond extract and mix to blend.
- Using a large rubber spatula, sprinkle 1/4 cup of the flour mixture over the top of the egg whites and gently fold in. Repeat with remaining flour mixture, 1/4 cup at a time.
- Gently scrape batter into a 9 inch un-greased tube pan and smooth the top. Tap the pan on the counter a couple times to release any large bubbles.
- Bake until the cake is golden brown and springs back when firmly touched, about 50-60 minutes.
- To cool the cake, invert the pan and allow the cake to cool upside down to keep the cake from falling as it cools. Let it cool completely, about 2-3 hours.
- While the cake cools, combine the strawberries and sugar. Let them sit for a couple hours so the sugar will dissolve and a syrup will form.
- To un-mold the cake, run a knife around the edge of the pan and slide the cake out of the pan by pushing on the bottom. Once the sides are removed, run the knife along the bottom and slide the cake off the bottom of the pan. Use a serrated knife to cut and serve with the strawberries.
- Serving Size: 1/12th
- Calories: 175
- Sugar: 31 g
- Sodium: 55 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 40 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: easy summer dessert recipe, fresh strawberry dessert