Feta & Parmesan Zucchini Bake

Life changes too quickly.  This little cutie pictured below is my baby girl.  My Goose.  She is about to begin her Senior year in high school.
Unfortunately, this also means she will be 1300 miles away from her home.  She decided to spend her senior year in Washington DC.

It took me a couple weeks before I could talk about it without breaking down into tears.  Don’t get me wrong.  I am completely thrilled for her, but I also feel completely ripped off!  I still had one more year before our family would change forever.  Now I just have a few days.
Then again, I can also think of a few items to add to my “Pros” side of this chart:
  1. My amount of laundry will be reduced by 1/3.  You would think it would only be 1/8, but anyone with a teenage daughter understands completely.
  2. When I go to grab my favorite shirt or necklace or pair of shoes, they will be there.  What a concept.
  3. A certain bedroom door in my home will no longer be closed and locked when we are entertaining.  Due to the completely embarrassing/devastating nature of it’s contents, it would scar our friends forever if they were to witness what was behind that door.
All things considered Goose, it has been an amazing 17 years and 8 months.  You make me proud.

Can you tell I have a lot of zucchini and squash in my garden this year?  This latest version had a split reaction with my family.  Those who tried it, adored it.  Those who were too chicken to even taste it kept telling me how gross it was.  Nice.

I loved it.  Packed with yummy cheese and lots of garlic.  I served it as a main dish, but it would also make a great side with some grilled protein and hot bread.  I will be making this one again soon while I still have a lot of fresh squash.

Feta & Parmesan Zucchini Bake
(recipe adapted from Kalyn’s Kitchen)
6-7 medium zucchini or yellow summer squash
2 Tb canola oil
2 Tb minced garlic
2 tsp dried thyme
4 eggs
2/3 C light sour cream
1 C crumbled feta cheese
1/2 C fresh parmesan cheese
2 Tb lemon juice
salt and pepper

1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a large casserole dish with nonstick spray.
2.  Slice the squash into 1/4″ slices.  If they are larger squash, cut them down the middle before slicing. Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan.  Add the squash, garlic and thyme.  Saute and stir just until the squash is starting to soften slightly.  Don’t cook too long or it will be mushy after it bakes in the oven. Remove from the heat.
3.  Beat together the eggs, sour cream, cheeses and lemon juice in a medium sized bowl.  Place half of the squash into the bottom of the casserole.  Sprinkle on some salt and pepper (remember the cheeses are salty!) then spread 1/2 of the egg mixture over the top.  Repeat with remaining squash and egg mixture.
4.  Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the mixture is bubbling and slightly set.  Serve hot.

Looking for more outstanding side dishes?  Don’t miss our favorites!

Comments

oh my goodness, my heart is going out to you. I can only imagine how losing her one year early would feel. I’m glad you’re finding positives and able to start talking about it. Hopefully you’ll get at least one vacation tp DC too?

2. Nina says

Comfort food! Best of luck to your daughter. Can I just ask (pedantic me) what size dish do you use for this recipe? Thanks! :)

You are a kitchen godess. I am absolutely amazed at how light and fluffy yet completely satisfying and filling this is!!!! I only used 5 squash ( so I can grill the rest tomorrow ) and three eggs. You’re amazing.

4. Kelly Marie says

I just made a smaller version of this for myself and it looks amazing! Blessings and congrats to you and your daughter! I just graduated college and moved from Wisconsin to Florida, and it’s killing my mom, but we always seem to come to together under family and good food. Thanks for sharing! I’ll be passing this along to my mom!

5. Grace says

This looks fantastic. I have all ingredients except sour cream, do you think you could sub plain greek yogurt for the sour cream?

6. Janet says

if you just really HATE Feta, you could probably substitute ricotta as it has a similar texture and melting capability. since the recipe calls for a full cup, I’m not sure completely leaving it out wouldn’t adversely affect the outcome.

U had me at zucchini and feta :) words cannot describe how delicious this is! My family of 5 were over the moon!!! Even my 11 year old boy had…4 servings and he is my toughest critic!! Thank u for the recipe!!!

She is a darling girl! I don’t blame you for being sad to see her off on an adventure. Having had both my children go off to college at the same time, I completely understand how much you’ll miss her. Lovely zucchini recipe. Perfect for the abundance of zucchini I have during the summer.

OMG I DONT KNOW WHAT I DID WRONG….I ADDED EVERYTHING AND IT WAS NOT LIKE THE PIC……IT BROKE APART INTO SCRAMBLED PIECES OF CHEESE IT WAS NOT CREAMY OR BUBBLY AT ALL I USED FRESH PARM SHREDDED SHOUOLD I HAVE USE GRATED? …..HELP

First off, calm down :). Secondly, I think it might have cooked on too high of a temperature. You might want to buy an oven thermometer for a couple bucks and be sure your oven is baking at the temp it is set at.

714 3636ok wellmy oven temp is good used temp sun on spoon roast is it supposed to be creammy? cause it wasnt it reminded me of scrambled eggs in my zuchini

I have made this several times. It is SO good!
    Don’t delete the post. I’d be lost without this recipe!

I liked the taste of this, but it also came out scrambled, and I even set the temperature down about 20 degrees. Don’t get me wrong; I’m still gonna eat all of it, but maybe next time, I’ll try less eggs and more of something else :)

14. Emily says

Just tried this out, and like some other commenters, it came out looking a little scrambled. However, the general consensus was that it didn’t taste scrambled. I think the cheese (I used ricotta salata instead of feta) absorbed the egg mixture. The taste was great though!

And, for those who don’t like feta, the ricotta salata is a great substitute.

We liked this. I halved it & used one egg, I think it appears “scrambled” because that is just how the feta melts. I think you can make any veggie tast good with this oncoction, we couldn’t taste th zucchini.

16. Jan says

This is one of my favorite side dishes now. It’s always a hit when I take it someplace. I love the left overs for breakfast if I’m lucky enough to have leftovers!

17. Jan says

I love your recipe for the pork carnitas. With my Puerto Rican background, one of the main dishes for special occasions is Roast Pork which we call “Pernir”, so I am a fan of different ways you can cook pork. I love your website.
    ……………..Alura

19. Donna says

Everyone loved it! I did’t have Canola oil, so I used vegetable oil. I didn’t have 1 cup of Feta; so I used the 5 oz. pkg. of Feta that I had and increased the ½ c of Parmesan shredded cheese to a whole cup. I also wasn’t sure what medium size zucchini meant. I used the 5 different sized zucchini and yellow squash that I had. It came out wonderful. The cheese was lightly golden brown when it was done. Those that ate it, loved it.

20. petra says

I made this tonight. I forgot the lemon juice and don’t think I will use it next time everyone just loved it. This is a keeper.

Omg. I think I may cry bc labor day is monday and fresh summer squash is ending. This was sooooo good. I made as a side for some chicken but next time I may just eat this as an entree. I forgot the lemon juice like the previous poster and it was still delish! I over-thymed bc I halfed everything else but it was STILL DELISH. I also forgot to salt and pepper the layers, guess what. Still delish. I will be making this again as many times as possible before fresh squash run out. Its like really yum (and easy) veggie lasagna.

22. Dawna says

I know it’s difficult when they move out. Mine have been out a long time now. Gone are the days that they say something I make is gross. Now they will try and let me know. This recipe looks yummy. It’s just Hubby and I are nd fussy he is not and a Greek background I have so win win.