Homemade Shout

This is what my kitchen looks like…..

Can you even call that a kitchen? My mantra right now that I continually repeat in my head is, “It will be amazing when it is done. It will be amazing when it is done….”

I could blabber on for pages on the struggles of cooking for my family right now, but I’ll just smile and lie……
:-) Everything is right on schedule and I’ve made some wonderful meals right in the middle of it all :-)
Since little to no cooking is coming out of my kitchen right now, I thought it was a perfect time to post my next laundry recipe. Yep, I use it and love it! And again, I just use my old Shout bottle to store it in.
I’ve posted many recipes over the years which resulted in messages saying how much you love them. Should I be offended though that all of those emails pale in comparison to the response I got about the homemade laundry detergent recipe?
This is a baking/cooking blog after all! I guess I should just be happy that you are trying stuff out, even if you can’t eat your results.
Homemade Shout Pre-treater
(Makes about 30 fl oz)
2/3 C Dawn dish detergent
2/3 C ammonia
6 Tb baking soda
2 C warm water
1. Mix together all the ingredients in a medium bowl. Using a funnel, pour into an old Shout bottle or other spray bottle.
2. To use, shake the bottle well because the baking soda does settle to the bottom. Spray as you normally would on a stain then launder. Do not use on anything that will be washed with chlorine bleach due to the ammonia!

Comments

Jennifer: Yes! With 6 kids, I get a lot of grass stains. Spray it on as soon as you can, rub it in and let it sit for a bit before washing in the washer.

Hello, I am getting prepared to try out your stain remover recipe and was wondering if the liquid dish soap has to be Dawn brand specifically?

Amills – the honest answer to your question is that I don’t know. The original recipe that someone gave me listed Dawn specifically, but I can’t imagine a different brand impacting the end result too greatly.

4. DIana says

I’m thinking it needs to be the BLUE Dawn and not other – my hubby tells me there is a difference.

I have used the green apple dawn on “baked in” grease stains on clothing…I just covered the spot with the dawn and let it sit for about an hour before washing and the grease spot comes out even after it went through the dryer on the first wash!! Love Dawn.

6. Leah says

Jennifer, I love, love your blog and all the great ideas you share. So far I’ve made the laundry soap and started to make the shout. Do you think washing soda would work instead of the baking soda, I have been letting the baking soda soak for two days in water, but its not breaking down. What do you think?
    Thanks, Leah

Thanks Leah for your comment! I think washing soda would work. Baking soda is great for whitening but I think the washing soda should have similar results.

Leah,
    Try washing even though you do not think it is breaking down. My husband slid down the bank fishing and I let his soak and it did not look like it was breaking down. I went ahead and washed and most came out. I am going to try this formula tonight to hopefully get the remainder out.

TY for the DIY Shout recipe!

Your kitchen will be more of a blessing and enjoyment to you when it’s finished than if you had a ready-made one. When we put in the work and deal with the inconvenience, we get to enjoy it even more and the pride of getting the job done is immense!

I to am a stay at home mother of 5 kids 3 are 5 and under and we go threw laundry like water so im so looking forward to trying you laundry soap but do you think your shout will take our car greese and tractor greese?

I am so excited to try this! I just got back from walmart and got all of the stuff for the detergent AND the shout! Question: is the shout safe for front loaders? A few weeks ago I pretreated some stains with dawn dishsoap (not very dilluted though), and the suds were coming out of our front load washer like crazy!! We’ve only had the front loaders for a few weeks, so we’re still learning how they work! :)

Thanks Carole. Last night i whipped up some shout, fabric softner, and detergent! About to go do some loads of laundry! Thanks for the tips!

Oh my stinking word!! I love your blog!! I am a writer for thelaundrymom.com and I am going to quote you and give you credit. We are a new blog. I would love for you to check us out. Good work here!!

Honestly, I don’t know. I would hesitate to do so just because I know peroxide is great at bleaching things, and that isn’t what you want on colors.

Love all the comments! 1. For oily spots, the best thing is to rub in talcum powder as soon as possible. Just pour some on & rub it into the spot Throw garment into hamper & let sit until you do your laundry. The spot will be gone. The talcum absorbs the oil and then washes right out. Much better for front loaders than detergent. I use this on my husbands expensive dress shirts. 2. Washing soda is simply baking soda which has been baked to make it drier & more crystaline. 3. Peroxide works well on blood and similar stains. Can be used in place of oxygen cleaner. Hope this helps.

I will have to try this. I have used another recipe with GREAT success.
    1 part dawn soap and 3 parts Hydrogen peroxide and a tad of baking soda
    This even fixed the stains under the arms.

A tip for grease stains if nothing else works try pour rubbing alchol on the grease spot then sprinkle with table salt, let dry and shake off the salt & wash.

Just don’t use this mixture with bleach.

chemistry.about.com/od/toxicchemicals/a/Mixing-Bleach-And-Ammonia.htm

I have never used it directly on baby spit up but many other stains that I consider a lot harder to get out than spit up. And with six kids, I know my baby spit up :)

20. Sage says

I use liquid castile soap with this and I find it works better than Dawn. Especially on the “Mechanic grease” stains. Also on “Forgotten” coffee stains.

I use to work in a grocery store and even though our tops were white you couldn’t bleach out the normal wearing stains. I ended up trying Shout to keep these shirts clean. Since then its been the only thing to pull stains right out. Even from the cuff of my favorite hoody, without destroying the colour or fabric. So you can see I’ve become addicted to the stuff, but it is quite expensive and only comes in a little bottle (in my town). I’m excited to try to make my own and add it to my recipe box of home made things!

22. Tammy says

Hi, I’d really love to try this but with a front loading washer I already know what’s going to happen. :( The dish detergent will cause too many suds & the machine will stop with SUDS on the screen. I have this happen when there is too much soap left in the dish cloth from the kitchen sink that is put in the laundry. Is there an alternative for the Dawn for making this when you have a washer requiring HE products?

23. Hetal says

Hi.
    I made your recipe. First the ammonia smells so strong; my eyes water. I want to know if it’s probably because of a different dishwash liquid I may have used. Or maybe 2/3 cups of liquid ammonia is a lot! !
    Kindly enlighten!

Hetal- ammonia does have a very strong odor. I only use dawn dish washing liquid so I am not sure about the ingredients of other brands. The amount is perfect for the ammonia!

Posto- I would think so but having never used it specifically for that, I can’t give you a guarantee. With the dawn, it is great with grease stains so I think it would do well with make up for similar reasons.

I am not sure about that substitution. Honestly, I use this shout on all my clothes, even those that go into bleach. The amount of ammonia in a couple sprays in minuscule. If you try the substitution, let me know how it works!