This is the second time for me on this specific recipe and it was just as delicious this time around as I remember. Both times, my kids made those wonderful “eeewww” faces when I put it on the table, but they really do enjoy it….though they would never admit to it!
I think what I enjoy so much about this recipe is the balance with textures and flavors. A few years ago, I would have never even attempted this recipe due to the blue cheese, but I have come to discover I like it in small amounts in dishes such as this.Print
Lemon Chicken Cutlets over Roasted Tomato Salad
The tartness of the lemon is so nice with the rich blue cheese and it isn’t strong or overwhelming at all. I like to have a bit of each ingredient on my fork with each bite and I just find it heavenly.
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- 6 Roma tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 Tb fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 C pine nuts
- 1/2 C flour
- 2 C Italian bread crumbs
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 2 eggs
- 2 pounds thin chicken cutlets (I used regular breasts that I butterflied and pounded thin)
- canola oil
- 12 oz baby spinach
- 3/4 C crumbled blue cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Toss the tomatoes in medium bowl with a drizzle of olive oil, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper. Arrange on a rimmed cookie sheet and roast for 16 minutes.
- Toast pine nuts in a skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently until lightly golden. Set aside.
- Place flour, salt and pepper in shallow dish. In another dish, combine bread crumbs and lemon zest. Beat eggs in another dish with a splash of water. Coat the chicken in the flour, then the egg and finally in the bread crumbs.
- Heat a thin layer of canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, cook the chicken in 2 batches for 3-4 minutes on each side until the juices run clear.
- Place spinach in large serving bowl. Remove roasted tomatoes from the oven and coarsely chop. Transfer tomatoes over the top of the spinach and allow the heat of the tomatoes to slightly wilt the spinach. Add lemon juice, more olive oil, pine nuts, salt and pepper. Top with the chicken and sprinkle the cheese over the top.
From 365, no repeats
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Salads
- Method: Skillet, Roasted
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/8 Salad
- Calories: 432
- Sugar: 3.2g
- Sodium: 450mg
- Fat: 18.8g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 10.8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 29.9g
- Fiber: 6.2g
- Protein: 36.9g
- Cholesterol: 59.5mg
Keywords: lemon chicken, roasted tomatoes, salad
This is one of those types of dishes I really enjoy during the summer! I love salad and especially blue cheese. Great Photo!