Grilled Zucchini Parmesan is a healthy and low carb dinner idea. This delicious recipe is completely satisfying and kid friendly. The parmesan and mozzarella cheese take it over the top. You can make it a vegetarian dish by omitting the meat from the marinara sauce.
This recipe came about one afternoon when I was hangry. I had just finished teaching my spin class and I was famished. Angry famished. But of course, my fridge was painfully empty which created frustration on top of hangry-ness.
I pulled out some leftover grilled zucchini and was trying to figure out how I was going to get excited about it. Then, way in the back was my answer….a hidden container of my homemade meat marinara sauce. Suddenly, I was hit with inspiration. I grabbed some parmesan and mozzarella to create this low carb, bad boy zucchini parmesan and it was FABULOUS! I’ve purposefully made it for dinner multiple times since then.
One of the main questions I get from you all is “Does freshly grated cheese really make a difference?” The answer is YES, YOU BETCHA, YAH! Do you know that when you buy pre-grated cheese, it is coated in cellulose…which is powdered wood pulp. Um, no thank you!
I know most of you have a standard cheese grater for the mozzarella cheese but if you don’t already own a microplane grater for the parmesan cheese, it is worth the $10. I use it for so many applications in the kitchen besides cheese!
After you whip up this fabulousness, come back and let me know what you think!
- 4 - 5 small zucchinis
- 1 Tb olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 4 C of your favorite marinara sauce
- 1/4 C freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 C freshly grated mozzarella cheese
- Preheat your grill to high. Cut the ends off your zucchini, then cut it in half length wise. Cut each half into 3 wedges. Once all your zucchini is cut, drizzle over the olive oil and generously salt and pepper them. Toss to coat the spears with the oil and seasoning. Place on the hot grill for 3-4 minutes, then flip over to continue to grill for another 2-3 minutes. Do not over cook your zucchini! You want them to be still firm.
- Heat your marinara sauce until hot. Lightly grease your baking dish and line it with the grilled zucchini. Top it with the marinara, then sprinkle on the two different cheeses. Place it under the broiler of your oven until the cheese melts and turns golden brown. Serve immediately.
**My friend, this post contains Amazon affiliate links which means I receive a small compensation if you make a purchase using my link, at no additional cost to you. And no worries….I only link to products that I both use and love! ~Carole