Hello again, MKE readers! Sherri here, one of the trio of sisters from Made From Pinterest and Carole’s favorite. Just sayin’. I am glad Carole has let us keep coming around to share what we are doing. We are having so much fun learning all kinds of new things by testing out pins from Pinterest and sharing our results. We are sure that if we can do it, you can do it! But today, I am sharing a recipe of my own making. I am tooting my horn here, but I just have to tell you, I am a pretty good cook. For me, cooking is a way to relax, it is one of the ways I express my love, it is about creating memories, and last but not least, it is about my deep and abiding love for food! This Mediterranean Skillet Chicken has become a regular in our weeknight dinner rotation.
Right now I am a little obsessed with the Mediterranean. Can you tell by the beautiful colors and flavors here in the photo? Artichokes, olives, tomato, garlic, basil, and feta combine to make an easy weeknight meal even kids will like. My teenager said it tasted way too good to be healthy. My hubby doesn’t love leftovers for lunch, but I noticed he had no problem packing this up to go.Why am I so stuck on the Mediterranean right now? I am taking a class on Early Christian and Byzantine Art and loving it. As a result, I have acquired a new skill I am pretty proud of. I can make a model of the Hagia Sophia with a grapefruit and an orange. But that’s another story. Still, all the things I am learning have given me a taste of Mediterranean life that I can’t satisfy. Until now. Well, not really. But kind of. Until I can afford a trip to see all the wonderful things I have been learning about, I am going to console myself with bit of comfort food. Or a lot of comfort food, because this was rather tasty and so I served myself a generous portion. Enjoy this mouth trip to the Mediterranean!
Mediterranean Skillet Chicken
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, diced fine
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans petite diced tomatoes
- 1 can quartered artichoke hearts, drained and rough chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup pitted olives, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 2 Tablespoons fresh basil sliced into ribbons
- Pound chicken breasts to an even thickness. Salt and pepper both sides of chicken breast to taste.
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium high heat. Reduce heat to medium and brown chicken about 4-6 minutes each side. Remove from pan and set on a plate.
- Saute onions in pan drippings until soft and translucent. You may need to add a little more oil. 1 Tablespoon or so. Add garlic, petite diced tomatoes, artichoke hearts and salt. Heat over medium heat until warmed through, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Place cooked chicken on top and garnish with feta cheese, olives and basil.