Cheesy Spinach & Mushroom Chicken Bake

I’m posting the following picture as proof that I screw up recipes all the time and usually, it is when I am entertaining.
Earlier this week, I was preparing a favorite salad recipe, Strawberry Spinach Salad with Grilled Chicken.  The salad portion was all prepped and had the chicken on the grill.  At the same time, I was also trying to get the kids in their swimsuits and sun screened so we could hit the pool.  I got everyone ready and we jumped in the van, completely forgetting about the chicken on the grill.  We returned home 2 hours later.  Luckily, the grill ran out of gas or these charcoal chicken briquets would have ignited and I would have had another fire disaster on my hands.
After the grilled chicken disaster, everyone was a bit hesitant when I pulled more chicken out of the freezer the next day, but the result was a landmark recipe in the Jones household.  Oh my was this delicious.  My 13 year old son turned up his nose when he saw it come out of the oven but immediately admitted how amazing it was once he tasted it.

I’ve posted quite a few chicken bakes over the years (Parmesan Chicken Bake, Chorizo Chicken Bake, Basil Artichoke Chicken Bake, Spinach and Tomato Chicken Bake, Pesto Chicken Bake) but without offending my previous bakes, this is easily my new favorite.  Yes, it does take a bit more effort than some of my other bakes, but you will not be disappointed.  This one immediately made it’s way into the meal rotation, especially since I successfully made it without turning it into charcoal.

Cheesy Spinach & Mushroom Chicken Bake
adapted from Bacon Butter Cheese & Garlic
Chicken:
5-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
salt
pepper
garlic powder
onion powder
6 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced

Mushrooms:
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
2 Tb butter
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1/2 C water mixed with 1 Tb white wine vinegar (or 1/2 C white wine)
salt and pepper to taste

Spinach:
10 – 12 ounce bag of spinach leaves
4 ounces cream cheese
1/4 C shredded parmesan cheese
2 large cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 onion, chopped
2 Tb oil
salt and pepper to taste

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray 9×13 casserole with nonstick spray.  Generously season the chicken with salt, pepper, garlic & onion powder.  Place in the casserole, skin side down and bake for 16 minutes.
2.  While the bakes, prepare the mushrooms and spinach.  In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt the butter then add the mushrooms.  Cook until the mushrooms are browned all over.  Don’t add the salt before they brown, or they won’t brown at all!  Add the garlic once the mushrooms are browned and cook for 1 minute, then deglaze the pan with the water/vinegar mixture.  Add salt and pepper to taste then allow it to reduce until most, but not all of the liquid is gone.  Remove mixture from the pan into a bowl and set aside until the spinach is finished.
3.  Using the same skillet, add the oil and onion over medium high heat for 3 minutes.  Add the garlic, cook for 1 minute then add the spinach in batches.  It will shrink down as it cooks.  Once all the spinach has been added and cooked down, stir in the cream cheese, parmesan, salt and pepper until they melt and mix together.  Add in the set aside mushrooms and stir.
4.  Remove chicken from the oven and flip over so the skin side is now up.  Slather on the spinach/mushroom mixture evenly over the top of the chicken.  Lay the sliced mozzarella cheese evenly over the top and return to the oven for 12-14 minutes more or until the chicken is cooked through.

Comments

I would totally do this and have for the most part. I would not add cream cheese to this.. It does not need the extra calories maybe a little bit of lemon. I have substituted red wine in place of white only because I’d don’t have white. This is a very good dish!

I made this tonight minus the cream cheese (didn’t have it on hand) and it was immediately added to the rotation. Picky fiancée loved it. Thanks!

Whitney- how about some rice? This makes a nice sauce in the pan and you can drizzle the the rice with some sauce. Or a simple salad or steamed fresh green beans would also be wonderful!

Sooo…I like to make a new recipe every day, and googled the things I have on hand. This recipe came up and I AM SO GLAD IT DID! This was a-fricking-mazing!! SOOOOO good! Very flavorful and super fun to make, thanks for posting this so Google could find it for me. YUM!

Teaya- I have to be honest and say no. Mushrooms add the depth of flavor for this dish that will not be found without them. I still think you should try this amazing dish. Chop the mushrooms small and just try it! I used to despise mushrooms myself :)

6. Michelle says

Made this for my boyfriend tonight, he’s picky and avoids vegetables like the plague. He asked that we have this not just again, but in the next few days! Great recipe, thanks :)

• Carole says

Thanks Michelle. I love to hear this type of comment! I always tell people to try things you think you don’t like every so often. You may find that you’ve just never had the thing you hate prepared well :) -Carole

7. Lyndall says

Just found you via Pinterest. My husband is Jewish and it is hard to find tasty chicken breast (his preferred part of the chicken) recipes that don’t include bacon. Look forward to trying your recipes.

8. Christina says

This is under low carb but I don’t see any nutritional information. I made this tonight and have to say it is very delicious. I just hope that my blood sugar doesn’t spike.

9. Ginny says

I cook for myself and like to make easy to freeze recipes that warm up well. Will this freeze and reheat nicely?

Thanks
    Ginny

10. Kat says

Thanks for the inspiration Carol and everyone. I also searched the web for spinach and cream cheese. I was about to throw out the spinach but I salvaged most of it. I made a sauce of onion, mushroom, garlic, spinach and cream cheese. I used organic vegetable broth instead of wine. No chicken yet, but divided the sauce for freezing and will use when I grill chicken, shrimp, scallops and more. This is also a great low carb fix to making a great tasty meal.

Here’s my tip: I often make batches of alfredo, hollandaise, mushroom steak sauce, pizza sauce, etc. and then I divide in ice cube trays and freeze. I then bag the cubes and use as needed for small individual meals later. For example, when I grill some asparagus, I take out a cube of hollandais and throw it in when finishing. Yummy! And I don’t waste a thing.

Glad I found you!

Kat

11. Sarah says

This was really yummy! We used the soft cheese that is marketed as a cream cheese substitute with way less fat. Can’t ever remember the name. the chicken was great and very tasty! I am pregnant and lots of spinach is a slam dunk!! Thanks for the recipe!

12. Sean says

An amazing dish. My family loved it. I served mine with some mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli and it was a hit. Thanks for an amazing recipe’

My husband and I are on a low carb diet and I was searching for new meal ideas, this recipe was very easy to follow and the chicken was delicious. My husband loved it, he says he wants this even when he’s not on diet. Love, love this recipe.

• says

Thank you so much for coming back Marcia and letting me know how you liked it. I hope you find some other yummy low carb dishes here to enjoy as well

14. Riley says

I love this recipe. I saw this on Facebook and decided to try it I forgot to put in the sour cream and I had to substitute Italian dressing for a dressing. It turned out wonderfully and it was delicious.

15. Elena says

Im a little confused… so I cook the mushrooms and spinach together then cook more spinach with garlic ? Lol im just a little bit lost.

• says

Elena- you cook the mushrooms first as instructed, take them out of the pan and then use that same pan to cook the spinach as directed. All the spinach won’t fit into the pan at first because it is too big. Once the first batch of spinach wilts down, add more to the same pan until you have all the spinach in there together and wilted down.

Great dish. My whole family enjoyed it. We tweaked it a bit with our favorite seasonings but otherwise we followed the recipe. This made my kids’ top ten list on the first try.

17. BethR says

I made this for dinner, without Parmesean (only b/c I didn’t have any) and Oh My Goodness! It might be the best thing I’ve ever cooked! I’m in love!❤️

18. Tisha says

Made this using chicken thigh instead of breast, and green onion instead of white. It was delicious and simple to bake. I will definitely be making this again.

19. Tiffany says

I found this recipe after searching for a chicken dish that had spinach and mushrooms in it and I made it tonight. Wow, great dish! My husband immediately raved and said it was one of his favorite chicken dishes and to make sure I keep the recipe. My 1 1/2 year old daughter and 5 years old son loved it too! They both kept asking for more mushrooms! I usually avoid altogether or pick mushrooms out but I decided to try one and I actually liked them a lot! Thank you for sharing. I will definitely be making this a lot!

• says

I love hearing comments like this Tiffany! So often our minds are so set against certain ingredients but we don’t know what we are missing out on

20. Sharon says

This was great! I admit though, I did change some things mainly because I didn’t have the exact ingredients on hand. I used canned mushrooms and frozen spinach. Also swapped the mozzarella cheese for Swiss. We all loved it! I browned the onions, then I added mushrooms and garlic for a few minutes. I then added the thawed, almost but not completely drained spinach. Then I added the cream cheese. I used white wine in place of vinegar as you suggested. The mixture was nice and thick made this way and sat nicely on top of each chicken breast. I served it with rice and my son said it’s a keeper! So even using my shortcuts it was delicious, which means the original recipe HAS to be a good one! 😀