We made all kinds of shapes, but made sure they were about the same size so they would bake for the same amount of time in the oven. Not sure why, but they loved the stars the best after they were baked. Maybe because it provided even more of the crispy edges.
Cheesy Puff Crackers
- 1 1/4 C flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 stick butter, cold and cubed
- 1 1/2 C shredded cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, or colby)
- ice water
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp favorite dried herb (oregano, basil, or garlic)
- Combine the flour, baking powder and butter in a food processor. Pulse until mixture forms a coarse meal. Add the cheese and 1 Tb ice water. Process until the mixture forms a ball, adding an additional 1 tsp ice water only if needed. Knead the dough lightly and form into a disk. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix in a small bowl the salt and desired herb. Lightly flour the word surface and roll out the dough about 1/4 ” thick, then sprinkle on the salt/herb mixture. Gently roll the seasoning into the surface of the dough and cut out to desired shape. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 12-14 minutes until golden brown and puffed. The time will depend on the size of cookie cutter you used. Cool on a wire rack.