Are they as amazing as they sound/look? Ooohhh baby yes! Were they easy? Well, in the aspect of simple and few ingredients, yes. But since they are small appetizer sized pieces, they do take time and a bit of patience to assemble. They aren’t hard, just take a bit more time than I had planned 🙂
Since there was a ton of snow outside, I decided to grab my indoor cast-iron grill. Sounded like the wise and correct choice at the time. It so was not….
Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Chicken Bites
(makes about 30 bites)
(recipe adapted from Salad in a Jar)
4 – 6 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 jalapenos, finely minced with seeds and membrane removed
1 package thick sliced bacon, sliced in half
salt and pepper
1. Preheat grill to medium high.
2. Cut chicken into about 2 inch x 2 inch pieces. Using a meat hammer, flatten out to about 3 inch x 3 inch piece. (Measurements are just a guideline) Salt and pepper generously.
3. Place a small amount of cream cheese in the center, about 3/4 tsp. Sprinkle on some minced jalapenos. If you look at the picture above, I used about a 1/4 tsp per piece, but should have used at least double that amount. I couldn’t even taste the jalapeno with such a small amount.
4. Roll up the chicken around the cream cheese. Using a half slice of bacon, wrap up the chicken tightly and secure with a toothpick. Repeat for remaining chicken.
5. Place on the hot grill and cook for about 7 minutes, then flip to finish cooking for about another 5 minutes.
**For freezer meal, prepare as listed above, up until all the chicken has been wrapped in the bacon. Place on a cookie sheet and freeze until solid. Place in container and freeze until ready to use. To prepare, remove from freezer the night before you want to serve them and thaw in the fridge. Cook as listed above.