As soon as my husband saw this recipe on Pinterest, he went to the store to buy me the needed ingredients. He was a bit disappointed that it took me a few more days to whip them up, but he is a patient man. We have been low-carbing it for 10 months and sometimes we just need something special and indulgent. These totally fit that craving!
Don't worry if your chicken pieces fall apart when you flatten them. Most of mine fell apart because I was in a rush to get them flat. This was one of the few pieces that survived my frantic pounding with the meat mallet! Once you roll it all up in the bacon, it all stays together nicely so don't get discouraged.
This picture does not do justice to the disaster that awaited me after dinner. Grease was literally everywhere! I had to mop the floor, completely take apart my whole stove and break out the ammonia to cut through the greasy mess all over my kitchen. Learn from my mistake and grill these outside :) We will definitely be making these again, but never, ever, ever, ever again inside.
The only change I will make next time I made them is to add more jalapeno. I don't like spicy food, but with the tiny 1/4 tsp that the original recipe called for, we couldn't even taste the pepper at all. I will use at least a 1/2 tsp next time around.
(makes about 30 bites)
(recipe adapted from Salad in a Jar)
4 - 6 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 jalapenos, finely minced with seeds and membrane removed
1 package thick sliced bacon, sliced in half
salt and pepper
1. Preheat grill to medium high.
2. Cut chicken into about 2 inch x 2 inch pieces. Using a meat hammer, flatten out to about 3 inch x 3 inch piece. (Measurements are just a guideline) Salt and pepper generously.
3. Place a small amount of cream cheese in the center, about 3/4 tsp. Sprinkle on some minced jalapenos. If you look at the picture above, I used about a 1/4 tsp per piece, but should have used at least double that amount. I couldn't even taste the jalapeno with such a small amount.
4. Roll up the chicken around the cream cheese. Using a half slice of bacon, wrap up the chicken tightly and secure with a toothpick. Repeat for remaining chicken.
5. Place on the hot grill and cook for about 7 minutes, then flip to finish cooking for about another 5 minutes.
**For freezer meal, prepare as listed above, up until all the chicken has been wrapped in the bacon. Place on a cookie sheet and freeze until solid. Place in container and freeze until ready to use. To prepare, remove from freezer the night before you want to serve them and thaw in the fridge. Cook as listed above.