Low Carb Sugar Free Chocolate Cheesecake with Almond Crust
(makes one 10″ cheesecake)
For the Crust:
2 C whole raw almonds
5 Tb butter
2 Tb Truvia sweetener
*Note – I greatly prefer Truvia to Splenda, but if you insist on using it, use 5 Tb of Splenda. Please though, go get some Truvia. No nasty aftertaste!!!
For the Cake:
12 ounces quality sugar free chocolate, chopped
2 – 8 ounce packages of light cream cheese (neuftachel), room temperature
7 Tb Truvia sweetener *See note above if using Splenda. Make this portion 1 1/8C Splenda
4 large eggs, room temperature
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 C hot decaffeinated coffee
2 tsp vanilla
1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Tightly wrap the bottom and sides of a 10″springform pan with aluminum foil. If not wrapped properly, you will end up with very soggy almonds as a result!
2. Process the almonds in your food processor until very finely chopped. Add the butter and Truvia, then pulse until combined completely. Press the mixture firmly into the bottom of your pan and bake until golden brown around the edges, about 15-20 minutes. Allow crust to cool while you assemble the cake.
3. Microwave the chocolate for 1 minute and stir. Microwave in 30 second intervals until completely melted. Set aside to cool.
4. In your mixer with the whisk attached, beat the room temperature cream cheese for a couple minutes until light and fluffy. Add the Truvia and mix again. Add the room temperature eggs, one at a time and scraping down the sides of the bowl after each egg is beaten in.
5. Add the salt and vanilla into hot coffee. Add this mixture to the cream cheese and beat until blended. With the mixer on low, add the melted chocolate slowly and allow it to combine completely. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix well again.
6. Pour the filling into the now cooled crust and place the foil wrapped pan in a larger roasting pan. Put them into the oven, then fill the roasting pan half way with very hot water. Bake for 50 minutes or until center is firm. If your pan is a 9″ pan, it will take closer to 60 minutes to bake.
7. Leave the cheesecake in the oven, turn off the oven, and crack open the oven door. Allow the cake to cool in the oven for 1 hour. Remove the cake from the oven and unwrap it from the foil. Allow it to cool completely on a cooling rack.
8. After completely cooled, cover with foil and chill overnight in the fridge. Before removing the ring of the springform pan, run a butter knife along the outside. To cut, use a long, thin knife that has been dipped in hot water. Cut straight down and don’t drag the knife back and forth. Before making any additional cuts, rinse and wipe off the blade completely.