How can you not feel in the holiday spirit looking at these gorgeous, fresh cranberries dotted throughout the muffin?
I know it sounds anal, but the mixing process for these muffins really is important so don’t just dump it all in the mixer. Take a few extra seconds to do it right and you will love the results!Print
Tangerine Cranberry Muffins
- Yield: 12 muffins
- 3 C flour
- 1 Tb baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 Tb butter, room temperature
- 1 C minus 1 Tb sugar
- 1 Tb finely grated tangerine zest or orange zest
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 C plain yogurt
- 1 C finely chopped fresh cranberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease the rims of your muffin tins and then line them with a paper liner. If you don’t grease the edges, the muffins will stick to your pan as they rise. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In your electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl about half way through. Add the eggs, one at a time, and scrape down the bowl after each egg is added.
- Add half of the flour mixture and mix in, then mix in a third of the yogurt. Mix in half of remaining flour then half of the remaining yogurt. Repeat one more time with remaining flour mixture and yogurt. Do not over-mix! Add the cranberries and fold them in by hand with a rubber spatula.
- Divide the batter evenly between your 12 muffins. The batter will be piled above the top of your liners, but that is how it is supposed to be. Bake for 25-30 minutes and golden brown. Remove from the pan to cool.