I've never held back about how I feel about back to school time.
Just in case you are unaware about my true feelings, here is my favorite commercial of all time...
Is it so wrong to feel this way??? I truly love my children and enjoy my time with them, but there is something so indescribable about the first day of school!
I made them this delicious coffee cake. Does that make up for the fact that I practically shoved them out of the van in front of the school?
(makes one 9" cake or double recipe yeilds one 9x13 cake)
1/4 C + 2 Tb flour
1/4 C + 2 Tb brown sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1/3 C chopped pecans
3 Tb cold butter, cut into small pieces
1 3/4 C flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 C butter, room temperature
1 C + 2 Tb sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
8 ounces sour cream
3/4 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease your baking pan.
2. Combine all the ingredients for your crumb topping in the food processor. Pulse until butter pieces are chopped small and the mixture resembles chunky sand. Set aside. You can also do this by hand with a pastry blender, but don't add the pecans until the end of cutting in the butter.
3. In the bowl of your mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter then slowly add the sugar. Beat until they are light and fluffy, around 3 minutes. Scrape down the bowl at least once while it is beating. Add eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition. Add the sour cream and vanilla. Mix.
4. Combine the dry ingredients in a small bowl and add to the mixer in three additions, mixing until just incorporated. Do not overmix!
5. Spread half of the cake batter across the bottom of your pan. Sprinkle half of the crumb topping across the batter then spread remaining batter over that. Finish off the top of the cake with the remaining crumb topping.
6. Bake for 45 minutes until a cake tester inserted in a middle comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached (if you made a double recipe in a 9x13 pan, it takes an hour). Cool at least 30 minutes or completely before serving.