Will you please do me a favor this week? Try a food that you don’t like and haven’t tasted in years.
Before you dismiss my request, you need to understand that your taste buds change the older you get just as much as other parts of your body. I hated coconut as a child, but it is one of my favorite ingredients to use now. The same goes for shrimp, olives and blue cheese for me. If I hadn’t been brave enough to continue to try them, I would be missing out completely.
These cookies would have been a nightmare for me years ago, but I couldn’t stop eating them last week. They were one of the easiest cookies I have ever made and they were just as delicious plain as they were dipped in chocolate. My two year old shoved them in his mouth whole! I have coconut on my shopping list today because I was craving these last night but didn’t have enough coconut……
Chocolate Dipped Coconut Macaroons
14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
2 large egg whites
3 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
7 C sweetened flaked coconut
1 lb semi sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line two cookie sheets with parchment or silpat.
2. In a large bowl mix together all the ingredients except for the chocolate. Using a 1 1/2″ cookie scoop very loosely filled, drop onto the prepared sheets. Wet your fingertips and shape cookies into loose haystacks.
3. Bake in middle rack of your oven until golden brown, about 18 minutes. Cool the cookies on the sheet for about 2 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack.
4. Melt chocolate in a microwave proof bowl for 1 minute on high. Mix well and microwave for another 30 seconds if needed.
5. Holding the macaroon by the tip, dip the bottom of the cookie in the chocolate , scrape off the excess on the side of the bowl and place cookie on some wax paper. Allow chocolate to set completely. You can put them in the fridge to do it quickly.