Don't you just love when you are introduced to a new recipe and it is such a hit that it becomes part of your everyday menu? Such is the case with this bread. Last month, we had a wonderful visit with my sister and her family and she made us this bread for lunch. My kids couldn't get enough so I've made it three times already since returning home. This week we used it in paninis and it is absolutely wonderful. It is completely versatile so mix in or sprinkle on your favorite herbs, seasonings or toppings. This week I used grey sea salt, rosemary and fresh parmesan. I think next time I'm going to knead in some olives or sun-dried tomatoes and see how it turns out. The recipe calls for a boiled and mashed potato, but I have a ton of dehydrated potatoes in my emergency storage and they work just as well once you hydrate them. I made a recipe and a half to fill a large jelly roll pan (13 x 18 inch).
from The New Best Recipe
1 medium baking potato, peeled and quartered
1 1/2 tsp yeast
3 1/2 C flour
1 C warm water
2 T olive oil, plus more for top
1 1/4 tsp salt
1. Bring 1 qt water to a boil and add potato, simmer until tender, about 25 minutes. Drain potato, cool and grate. You need 1 1/3 C lightly packed potato.
2. Meanwhile in mixer, combine yeast, 1/2 C flour and 1/2 C warm water. Cover tightly and set aside until bubbly, about 20 minutes. Add remaining dough ingredients, including potato. Knead until dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Let dough rise until double in volume, about 1 hour.
3. With wet hands, press dough flat into an oiled 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 inch jelly roll pan. Cover dough and allow to double in volume, about 45 minutes to an hour.
4. Heat oven to 425 degrees. With two wet fingers, dimple risen dough at regular intervals. They should be deep to hold the olive oil and seasonings on top. Drizzle the dough with olive oil and sprinkle desired seasonings on top. I find the more generous on toppings, the better!
5. Bake for 23-25 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool slightly and cut into squares.